Faculty of Engineering
This is a fully immersive conversion course for engineering graduates, drawing upon expertise from six departments in the faculties of engineering and science, as well as the University’s management school. There are close ties with some of the world’s leading aerospace companies.
Alongside traditional aeronautical subjects such as materials, structures, aerodynamics and propulsion necessary for the design of high-speed flight and lightweight aircraft, you will also study concepts of systems integration and flight control. These are essential to the production of more efficient and environmentally-friendly aircraft and aerospace systems.
You’ll have the opportunity to tailor your studies to suit your individual interests and career aspirations by specialising in either aeromechanics or avionics. Our innovative programme of study includes having the chance to design, build and fly an Unmanned Air Vehicle as part of the group design project. You’ll graduate as a highly knowledgeable aerospace engineering specialist.
- Aerospace Group Design Project
- Aerospace Individual Investigative Project
- Aerodynamic Design
- Aero Propulsion
- Flight Dynamics and Control
- Aircraft Design
- Space Systems Engineering
- Advanced Industrial Control
- Real-Time Embedded Systems
- Motion Control and Servo Drives
- Multi-Sensor and Decision Systems
- Antennas, Radar and Navigation
- Energy Storage Management
- Electronic Communication Technologies
- State Space Control Design
- Hardware-in-the-Loop and Rapid Control Prototyping
- Logic and Computation
- Aerospace Metals
- Reciprocating Engines
- Theory and Application of Turbulence
- Advanced Aero Propulsion
- Advanced Structural Vibrations
- Advanced Fluid Mechanics
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Design and Manufacture of Composites
- Processing of Metals
- Finite Element Techniques
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Aircraft Aeroelasticity and Loads
- Laboratory classes
- Ttutorials and example classes
- Design classes
- Industrial and research seminars
- Group projects
- Coursework assignments
- Oral and poster presentations
- Class tests
1 year full-time
2:1 BEng degree in mechanical engineering, materials science and engineering, automatic control systems engineering or electrical and electronic engineering.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
We’re currently working on £40.4m of aerospace and defence-related research projects with companies such as Airbus, Rolls-Royce and BAE Systems.
Dr Martin Jackson
Director of Aerospace Engineering
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It's a quick and easy process.
+44 114 222 7837
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.