Cost Effectiveness Modelling for Health Technology Assessment
School of Health and Related Research,
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health
The course is taught part-time, online, over two years.
The development and application of new health technologies is crucial to the future prosperity of both developed and developing nations. Health technology assessment (HTA), and the associated strategies for pricing technologies and obtaining reimbursement from purchasers, is a relatively new area of expertise.
From an industry perspective, the effective assessment, pricing and reimbursement techniques for health technologies are critical to bringing a technology to market and thus to corporate success. From the perspective of those charged with governing health technologies and reimbursing providers, evaluating the cost-effectiveness of health technologies is critical to equity and good governance of public monies.
The specific skills to undertake cost-effectiveness modelling, a key methodology within HTA, are highly technical and in high-demand within the pharmaceutical and healthcare industries. This course provides these skills. The online learning, part-time mode of delivery has been developed in response to a clear demand from the health technology industries, including pharmaceuticals, medical devices and diagnostic technologies.
Continuing Professional Development
All modules on this course can be studied as standalone CPD modules. It is possible to complete standalone modules and then apply to transfer to an MSc/PGDip/PGCert qualification. Any time spent on the CPD route counts toward the time-limit a student has to complete their chosen qualification.
Our teaching combines three key elements:
- Authentic learning: we use real-world, real-life, up-to-date case studies, examples and scenarios. You can immediately see how your learning is "authentic" and applicable to your own working life
- Social learning: We learn from each other as much as from purely independent study. This course uses multiple tools to deliver content and facilitate interaction with and between tutors and students
- Flexibility: The majority of the online reading materials are heavily supplemented with videos, screencasts, internet-based materials, and the use of interactive online tools. Materials are provided in blocks or "sessions" of usually 2-3 weeks duration.
Assessment is by coursework and project work.
2 years part-time
Our graduates typically work for
- Large and small, national and international pharmaceutical and devices companies
- Health economics consultancies (including being self-employed in this capacity)
- Health care providers and hospital organisations
- Government departments, ministries and agencies
- HTA agencies
Our students live and work all over the world. They are seeking to develop key skills to enhance their careers within HTA, market access, trial design and other aspects of health technology assessment in the private or public sector.
A 2:1 honours degree in a relevant subject or equivalent professional experience.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It's a quick and easy process.
+44 114 222 5454
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.