EdD - The Sheffield EdD
School of Education,
Faculty of Social Sciences
The Sheffield EdD is a vibrant and successful distance learning programme which attracts students from all over the world. The programme is based on a structure of study weekends, so you can study from anywhere at any time and also share experiences with fellow students at the weekend study schools. The main aim of the programme is that students develop their own high standards of research that will be relevant to a range of professional and managerial careers.
The EdD is divided into two Parts; Part 1 is the taught element of the course and runs over two years while Part 2 is the research component. In Part 1 students undertake modules which focus on research training in preparation for Part 2. In Part 2 students undertake an independent study in an area of their choice, under the supervision of their own personal supervisor.
How to apply
1. You'll need to provide a short personal statement of no more than 1,000 words. This should explain your reasons for applying for the programme and indicate how your work will relate to one of our research clusters or networks. We are also keen to hear about your exisiting research skills and experiences. The statement should be succinct and tightly structured.
2. You'll also need to provide a piece of writing of approximately 2,000 words that you have produced. This could be:
- a short extract from a longer piece of your academic writing (for example a masters thesis or published journal article)
- an extract from an analytical document or report that you have written in the course of your professional duties (for example a policy document, a review of practice in education, an internal report written for your institution or employer) or journalism that you have published (for example Times Higher Education (THE), The Times Higher Education Supplement (THES), Union Magazine.
- a proposal for your study, providing a rationale for your focus and your initial ideas for a methodology
You could also make up a portfolio consisting of one or more of these types of documents.
Please upload this piece of writing to the Course Supporting Documents section of the online application form.
4 to 6 years part-time
You should hold both a bachelor’s degree (normally first or second class honours or equivalent) and an appropriate masters degree, or equivalent.
You should also have a minimum of two years’ professional experience within a relevant field.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS score of 7.0 with a minimum of 6.5 in each component, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
Staff from the University of Sheffield applying for the EdD do not pay fees for Part 2 of the programme (the research component). More information for staff candidates (requires University login).
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It's a quick and easy process.
+44 114 222 8177
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.