Complaints and appeals

Guidance on the complaints and appeals process for doctoral candidates.


Complaints procedure

Where difficulties arise it is important to seek to address these as early as possible. Many difficulties can be resolved at an early stage by talking informally with the individual(s) most concerned with the issue at a local level. Students should initially raise any complaints with their supervisor.

If they cannot be resolved, they must report the complaint to the PGR Lead or the Head of Department initially, and, if appropriate, the faculty. The department must ensure that complaints procedures are operational and effective.

However, as noted above, it is the responsibility of students to ensure that any problems are raised at the appropriate level and at the earliest opportunity. Students can also seek advice from the Student Advice Centre or from Research, Partnerships and Innovation at this stage.

In the event that such difficulties cannot be resolved informally, the University has formal procedures for students to make complaints, whether about the delivery and quality of services received (i.e. non-academic matters), or about the delivery or quality of research supervision or any other matters relating to the programme of study.

Student complaints

There is also a procedure for complaints about personal harassment (student login needed).

Academic Appeals regulations

Under these regulations, a student may apply for a recommended examination result to be re-considered in the light of new evidence.

Academic Appeals

Advice on submitting a complaint or an academic appeal is available from the Student Advice Centre.