Heather M. Dakin
Trials Support Officer
School of Health and Related Research
University of Sheffield
30 Regent Street
Office: Room 2.04, Floor 2, Innovation Centre
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 6385
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 0870
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
LinkedIn Profile: Click Here
I joined the University in September 2014. I have a background in administration, having worked in both the U.S. and the U.K.
The Arts have always been an interest, and I have a great appreciation for literature, film, and music. I obtained my BA in English in the U.S. before moving to the U.K. in 2009, where I completed my MA in Creative Writing at Newcastle University in 2010.
I have worked for the Clinical Trials Research Unit (CTRU) as a Trials Support Officer for four years, providing administrative support across a variety of medical research trials.
In addition to my trial-related work, I also facilitate the following staff development course, which is open to all university staff via the Learning Management System (LMS)
- SD2S - 'Second Sight': An Interactive Look at Blindness and Visual Impairment
I am also currently overseeing two additional projects:
- Talking Group for Blind/Visually Impaired Students - Working in conjunction with the University's Disability & Dyslexia Support Team, I facilitate a Talking Group for Blind/Visually Impaired Students once a month. This Group is meant to act as a peer support group and provides a place where blind/visually impaired students can share ideas, experiences, and tips to help assist one another during their studies.
- 'Supporting Blind/Visually Impaired Patients in Healthcare' (School of Nursing & Midwifery) - In October 2017 I was asked to design and facilitate a bespoke session aimed at undergraduate/postgraduate nursing students. This session sits within the Term 2 Communication module and focuses on supporting blind/visually impaired patients in a healthcare environment (i.e. hospitals, care homes, GP practices, etc.).
- Reviewer on ScHARR Research Ethics Committee (ScHARR REC)
- DTS Representative on ScHARR Equality and Diversity Committee