Fiona Lecky MB Ch B, FRCS, DA, MSc, PhD, FCEM
Clinical Professor of Emergency Medicine
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 4345
Fiona Lecky is Clinical Professor in Emergency Medicine at CURE (the Centre for Urgent and Emergency Care Research) in the School of Health and Related Research at the University of Sheffield , Honorary Consultant in Emergency Medicine at Salford Royal Hospital and holds an Honorary Chair as Research Director of the Trauma Audit and Research Network (TARN) at the University of Manchester and Research Professor of the Humanitarian Conflict Response Institute (HCRI). She chaired the 2014 update of the NICE Head Injury Guideline and has been a member of the International Federation for Emergency Medicine Research Committee since 201.
Fiona has a 60/40 commitment to her University and clinical roles. She supervises under and post graduate research students and is a lead investigator in international multicentre trauma research initiatives which are her major research interest.
- Global Emergency Care Research Nettork (GEMCARN)/Lead applicant/GCRF-QR/£50,000/2019-20
Major Trauma Triage tool Study (MATTS)/Co-applicant/NIHR HTA/£612,243/ 2018-2021
- Resuscitative Endovascular Balloon Occlusion of the Aorta (REBOA)/Co-applicant /HTA / £500,000/ 2017-2020
- STUdy of the Management of BLunt chest wall trauma (STUMBL)/ Co-researcher/ HCRW/ £300,000/ 2016-2018 Injury Research Workshop /Newton Fund Lead Applicant, £30,000/ 2016-2018
- Collaborative European Neurotrauma Effectiveness Research in Traumatic Brain Injury TBI/ EU FP7/Co-applicant/ € 30, 000,000 2013-20
- Trauma Audit & Research Network (TARN) Research Grant / Lead (Sole) applicant/ NHS Trusts / £350,000 per year recurrent /2002 -2008 £600,000 2009 and 2010 / £1 million recurrent for future.
- Validating Injury Burden Estimates Study Junior – Co applicant / Australian National Health Medical Research Council /ASD600,000/2018-20
- Canadian Program on Low Value Clinical Practices in Injury Care – Co applicant / Canadian Institutes of Health Research / Can$ 800,000 / 2015-2023
- Head Injury Transportation Straight to Neurosurgery- The HITS-NS Trial a feasibility Study/ Lead applicant/ Health Technology Assessment (HTA)/ £600,000 2011-2013.
Fiona’s research interests include: Traumatic Brain Injury, Major Trauma, Biomarkers in Emergency Care and Injury Epidemiology. Latterly she has been Chair of the College of Emergency Medicine Research Committee – successfully setting up PhD studentships for Trainee Emergency Physicians, and the NW EM Walport Programme lead with a competitive ACF programme.
Recent publications include those looking at TBI epidemiology, trends in major trauma outcome and clinical effectiveness in trauma care and venour thromboembolism with a particular focus on head injury.
Fiona is based in the section of Health Services Research
Address: Health Services Research, School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR), University of Sheffield, Regent Court, 30 Regent Street, Sheffield, S1 4DA
Contact Number: 0114 2220834 Contact fax: 01142220749
- Marincowitz C, Lecky FE, Morris E, Allgar V & Sheldon TA (2018) Impact of the SIGN head injury guidelines and NHS 4-hour emergency target on hospital admissions for head injury in Scotland: an interrupted times series. BMJ Open, 8(12), e022279.
- Mee H, Kolias AG, Chari A, Ercole A, Lecky F, Turner C, Tudur-Smith C, Coles J, Anwar F, Belli A , Manford M et al (2018) Pharmacological management of post-traumatic seizures in adults: current practice patterns in the UK and the Republic of Ireland. Acta Neurochirurgica. View this article in WRRO
- Moran CG, Lecky F, Bouamra O, Lawrence T, Edwards A, Woodford M, Willett K & Coats TJ (2018) Changing the system - major trauma patients and their outcomes in the NHS (England) 2008–17. EClinicalMedicine, 2-3, 13-21. View this article in WRRO
- Singh R, Humphries T, Mason S, Lecky F, Dawson J & Sinha S (2018) The incidence of anosmia after traumatic brain injury: the SHEFBIT cohort. Brain Injury, 1-7. View this article in WRRO
- Marincowitz C, Lecky FE, Townend W, Borakati A, Fabbri A & Sheldon TA (2018) The Risk of Deterioration in GCS13–15 Patients with Traumatic Brain Injury Identified by Computed Tomography Imaging: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Journal of Neurotrauma, 35(5), 703-718. View this article in WRRO
- Maas AIR, Menon DK, Adelson PD, Andelic N, Bell MJ, Belli A, Bragge P, Brazinova A, Büki A, Chesnut RM , Citerio G et al (2017) Traumatic brain injury: integrated approaches to improve prevention, clinical care, and research. The Lancet Neurology, 16(12), 987-1048. View this article in WRRO
- Fountain DM, Kolias AG, Lecky FE, Bouamra O, Lawrence T, Adams H, Bond SJ & Hutchinson PJ (2017) Survival Trends After Surgery for Acute Subdural Hematoma in Adults Over a 20-year Period. Annals of Surgery, 265(3), 590-596. View this article in WRRO
- Metcalfe D, Perry DC, Bouamra O, Salim A, Lecky FE, Woodford M, Edwards A & Costa ML (2016) Is there a ‘weekend effect’ in major trauma?. Emergency Medicine Journal, 33(12), 836-842. View this article in WRRO
- Lawrence T, Helmy A, Bouamra O, Woodford M, Lecky F & Hutchinson PJ (2016) Traumatic brain injury in England and Wales: prospective audit of epidemiology, complications and standardised mortality. BMJ Open, 6(11). View this article in WRRO
- Lecky F, Russell W, Fuller G, McClelland G, Pennington E, Goodacre S, Han K, Curran A, Holliman D, Freeman J , Chapman N et al (2016) The Head Injury Transportation Straight to Neurosurgery (HITS-NS) randomised trial: a feasibility study.. Health Technology Assessment, 20(1), 1-198. View this article in WRRO
- Kehoe A, Smith JE, Bouamra O, Edwards A, Yates D & Lecky F (2015) Older patients with traumatic brain injury present with a higher GCS score than younger patients for a given severity of injury. Emergency Medicine Journal, 33(6), 381-385. View this article in WRRO
- Davies FC, Coats TJ, Fisher R, Lawrence T & Lecky FE (2015) A profile of suspected child abuse as a subgroup of major trauma patients. Emergency Medicine Journal, 32(12), 921-925.
- Kehoe A, Smith JE, Edwards A, Yates D & Lecky F (2015) The changing face of major trauma in the UK. Emergency Medicine Journal, 32(12), 911-915. View this article in WRRO
- Bouamra O, Jacques R, Edwards A, Yates DW, Lawrence T, Jenks T, Woodford M & Lecky F (2015) Prediction modelling for trauma using comorbidity and ‘true’ 30-day outcome. Emergency Medicine Journal, 32(12), 933-938. View this article in WRRO
- Hodgkinson S, Pollit V, Sharpin C & Lecky F (2014) Early management of head injury: Summary of updated NICE guidance. BMJ (Online), 348, 1-7.
- Patel HC, Bouamra O, Woodford M, King AT, Yates DW & Lecky FE (2005) Trends in head injury outcome from 1989 to 2003 and the effect of neurosurgical care: An observational study. Lancet, 366(9496), 1538-1544.