Safety advice for Staff
General tips for staying safe whilst working including when entering and leaving buildings.
Last update: March 2022
- As you are aware we have entered a period of industrial action, so it’s a busy period for Security Services. General advice and guidance on the strikes can be found on the Industrial Action page. Previous experience tells us the industrial action is often accompanied by increased student protest activity, potentially including occupations. All staff should therefore
- Strictly enforce a clear desk policy and secure away any sensitive information and valuable equipment.
- Be aware of building security; ensure that doors are secure behind you and you are not tailgated into secure areas.
- Be vigilant. If you see or hear anything of concern, don't assume someone else will report it. Contact security on 24085 / 24086 or in an emergency use the RED button on SafeZone or call 4444 (0114 222 4444)
- We would remind everyone of our personal safety advice
- If you have not already done so, please download the University’s Safety and Security App Safezone
- When leaving your place of work ensure all windows and doors are left secure and when the last person has vacated the building, please ensure alarms are set.
- If you observe any windows / doors open on any buildings or premises that shouldn’t be or anything suspicious then please remember that all incidents on campus and residences again should be reported in the first instance to Security Control via the blue non urgent button on the SafeZone app or on our 24-hour line: 0114 222 4085. For emergencies use the RED button on SafeZone or call 0114 222 4444.
In case of emergency call: +44 114 222 4444
In non-emergencies: +44 114 222 4085