Dr Clare Gardiner
The School of Nursing & Midwifery
Office located at:
Barber House Annexe
3a Clarkehouse Road
Sheffield S10 2LA.
T: 0114 222 2038
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2015 as a Vice-Chancellor's Fellow, undertaking a Fellowship project on the costs of palliative care in the last six months of life. I previously worked as a Senior Lecturer at The University of Auckland, New Zealand, before which I was a Lecturer and Research Fellow at the University of Sheffield.
I have been involved in palliative and end of life care research for over 8 years, and have published over 50 papers in peer review journals. I have been involved in a number of international research projects, totalling over £3 million of funding to date.
My research interests are in palliative and end of life care, and ageing and older people. I am particularly interested in research concerning economic aspects of palliative care, particularly the costs of family caregiving. I have further research interests in social isolation in the elderly, and interventions to reduce loneliness including befriending. I am currently working on a Fellowship project which explores the costs of palliative care in the last six months of life.
My teaching interests are in research methods and palliative and end of life care. I currently supervise PhD students in the areas of palliative and end of life care.
I sit on the Editorial Advisory Board for the journal Palliative Medicine. I have been a member of grant review panels for the University of Auckland. I review grants for a number of UK and international funding bodies. I am a reviewer for a number of academic journals in the areas of ageing and end-of-life care.
Gardiner C. The cost of dying: a mixed methods study to explore the costs of palliative care. University of Sheffield Vice-Chancellor's Fellowship. 2015-2019
Gott M, Gardiner C et al. Can volunteer visiting services reduce social isolation and loneliness amongst older people? Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE). National Science Challenge New Zealand. 2014-2015.
Goyder L, Ingleton C, Gardiner C et al - Integrate health technology assessment for evaluating complex interventions. INTEGRATE-HTA. European Commission. FP7-HEALTH-2012-INNOVATION-1. 2013-2015.
- Gardiner C, Ingleton C, Ryan T, Ward S & Gott M (2017) What cost components are relevant for economic evaluations of palliative care, and what approaches are used to measure these costs? A systematic review.. Palliat Med, 31(4), 323-337. View this article in WRRO
- Brereton L, Ingleton C, Gardiner C, Goyder E, Mozygemba K, Lysdahl KB, Tummers M, Sacchini D, Leppert W, Blazeviciene A, van der Wilt GJ, Refolo P, De Nicola M, Chilcott J & Oortwijn W (2017) Lay and professional stakeholder involvement in scoping palliative care issues: Methods used in seven European countries. Palliative Medicine, 31(2), 181-192. View this article in WRRO
- Clark J, Gardiner C & Barnes A (2016) International palliative care research in the context of global development: a systematic mapping review.. BMJ Supportive and Palliative Care. View this article in WRRO
- Gardiner C, Geldenhuys G & Gott M (2016) Interventions to reduce social isolation and loneliness among older people: an integrative review.. Health Soc Care Community. View this article in WRRO
- Robinson J, Gott M, Gardiner C & Ingleton C (2015) A qualitative study exploring the benefits of hospital admissions from the perspectives of patients with palliative care needs. Palliative Medicine, 29(8), 703-710. View this article in WRRO
- Gott M, Allen R, Moeke-Maxwell T, Gardiner C & Robinson J (2015) ‘No matter what the cost’: A qualitative study of the financial costs faced by family and whānau caregivers within a palliative care context. Palliative Medicine, 29(6), 518-528. View this article in WRRO
- Gardiner C, Ward S, Gott M & Ingleton C (2014) Economic impact of hospitalisations among patients in the last year of life: An observational study. Palliative Medicine, 28(5), 422-429. View this article in WRRO
- Gardiner C, Brereton L, Frey R, Wilkinson-Meyers L & Gott M (2014) Exploring the financial impact of caring for family members receiving palliative and end-of-life care: A systematic review of the literature. Palliative Medicine, 28(5), 375-390. View this article in WRRO
- Gardiner C, Gott M, Ingleton C, Seymour J, Cobb M, Noble B, Bennett M & Ryan T (2013) Extent of palliative care need in the acute hospital setting: a survey of two acute hospitals in the UK.. Palliat Med, 27(1), 76-83. View this article in WRRO
- Gardiner C, Ryan T & Gott M () What is the cost of palliative care in the UK? A systematic review. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care, bmjspcare-2018-001519-bmjspcare-2018-001519. View this article in WRRO