Dr Sharron Hinchliff PhD, BSc(Hons), PGCertHE
The School of Nursing & Midwifery
Office located at:
Barber House Annexe
3a Clarkehouse Road
Sheffield S10 2LA
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 2045+44 (0) 114 222 2045
After graduating with a BSc (Hons) in Psychology I went on to study my PhD in social/health psychology. I then worked as a researcher at Sheffield Institute for Studies on Ageing on the sexualities, sexual health and ageing programme of research. I am currently Senior Lecturer at the School of Nursing and Midwifery and contribute to postgraduate and undergraduate teaching, as well as project supervision up to and including doctoral level. I lead the adulthood, gender and sexual health programme of research at the School which focuses on understanding health-related behaviours in order to improve health and inform professional practice.
My research spans the areas of ageing, gender and sexual/reproductive health, as well as the psychology of health and health care. Methodologically, my expertise lies in qualitative research, vulnerable groups and sensitive topics.
Qualitative research; health psychology; health promotion; sexual health and well-being; psychology of ageing and gender.
Current projects include:
- an examination of older people and sexual risk-taking (funded by the Australian Research Council);
- the development of tools and learning resources to improve health professionals' understanding of, and communication about, intimacy and sexuality in the third age (funded by Erasmus+);
- a cross-European project which looks at healthy sexual ageing (funded by the Norwegian Research Council);
- and an exploration of perinatal mental health in male partners (funded by the White Rose University Consortium).
See the quick links to the right of the page.
- Committee member of the Sheffield Sexual Health Network
- Deputy Director of the Centre for Gender Research, University of Sheffield
- Postgraduate Research Lead at the School of Nursing & Midwifery, University of Sheffield
- Associate Editor of the journal Sexual & Relationship Therapy
- Peer reviewer for a range of funding bodies and international journals
- Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of University Senate 2011-2014
- Darwin Z, Galdas P, Hinchliff S, Littlewood E, McMillan D, McGowan L & Gilbody S (2017) Fathers’ views and experiences of their own mental health during pregnancy and the first postnatal year: a qualitative interview study of men participating in the UK Born and Bred in Yorkshire (BaBY) cohort. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 17. View this article in WRRO
- Lyons A, Heywood W, Fileborn B, Minichiello V, Barrett C, Brown G, Hinchliff S, Malta S & Crameri P (2017) Sexually active older Australian's knowledge of sexually transmitted infections and safer sexual practices. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 41(3), 259-261. View this article in WRRO
- Fileborn B, Lyons A, Hinchliff S, Brown G, Heywood W, Dow B, Malta S & Minichiellow V (2017) Improving the sexual lives of older Australians: Perspectives from a qualitative study. Australasian Journal on Ageing. View this article in WRRO
- Fileborn B, Hinchliff S, Lyons A, Heywood W, Minichiello V, Brown G, Malta S, Barrett C & Crameri C (2017) The Importance of Sex and the Meaning of Sex and Sexual Pleasure for Men Aged 60 and Older Who Engage in Heterosexual Relationships: Findings from a Qualitative Interview Study. Archives of Sexual Behavior. View this article in WRRO
- Fileborn B, Brown G, Lyons A, Hinchliff S, Minichiello V, Malta S, Barrett C & Crameri P (2017) Safer Sex in Later Life: Qualitative Interviews With Older Australians on Their Understandings and Practices of Safer Sex. Journal of Sex Research. View this article in WRRO
- Hinchliff S, Tetley J, Lee DM & Nazroo J (2017) Older adults’ experiences of sexual difficulties: Qualitative findings from the English Longitudinal Study on Ageing (ELSA). Journal of Sex Research. View this article in WRRO
- Fileborn B, Lyons A, Hinchliff S, Brown G, Heywood W & Minichiello V (2016) Learning about sex in later life: sources of education and older Australian adults. Sex Education. View this article in WRRO
- Dalrymple J, Booth J, Flowers P, Hinchliff S & Lorimer K (2016) Socio-cultural influences upon knowledge of sexually transmitted infections: a qualitative study with heterosexual middle-aged adults in Scotland. Reproductive Health Matters. View this article in WRRO
- Tetley J, Lee D, Nazroo J & Hinchliff S (2016) Let's talk about sex – what do older men and women say about their sexual relations and sexual activities? A qualitative analysis of ELSA Wave 6 data. Ageing and Society. View this article in WRRO
- McGarry J, Ali P & Hinchliff S (2016) Older women, intimate partner violence and mental health: a consideration of the particular issues for health and health care practice.. Journal of Clinical Nursing. View this article in WRRO