Dr Sharron Hinchliff PhD, BSc(Hons), PGCertHE
Reader in Psychology and Health
Postgraduate Research Lead
The School of Nursing & Midwifery
Office located at:
Barber House Annexe
3a Clarkehouse Road
Sheffield S10 2LA
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 2045
After graduating with a BSc (Hons) in Psychology I went on to study my PhD in social/health psychology. I then worked as a researcher at Sheffield Institute for Studies on Ageing on the sexualities, sexual health and ageing programme of research. I am currently Reader in Psychology and Heath at the School of Nursing and Midwifery and contribute to postgraduate and undergraduate teaching, as well as project supervision up to and including doctoral level. I lead the adulthood, gender and sexual health programme of research at the School which focuses on understanding health-related behaviours in order to improve health and inform professional practice.
My research spans the areas of ageing, gender and sexual/reproductive health, as well as the psychology of health and health care. Methodologically, my expertise lies in qualitative research, vulnerable groups and sensitive topics.
Qualitative research; health psychology; health promotion; sexual health and well-being; psychology of ageing and gender.
Current projects include:
- an examination of older people and sexual risk-taking (funded by the Australian Research Council);
- the development of tools and learning resources to improve health professionals' understanding of, and communication about, intimacy and sexuality in the third age (funded by Erasmus+);
- a cross-European project which looks at healthy sexual ageing (funded by the Norwegian Research Council);
- and an exploration of perinatal mental health in male partners (funded by the White Rose University Consortium).
See the quick links to the right of the page.
- Committee member of the Sheffield Sexual Health Network
- Postgraduate Research Lead at the School of Nursing & Midwifery, University of Sheffield
- Associate Editor of the journal Sexual & Relationship Therapy
- Peer reviewer for a range of funding bodies and international journals
- Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of University Senate 2011-2014
- Hinchliff S, Carvalheira dos Santos A, Stulhofer A, Janssen E, Træen BT & Hald GM (2019) Seeking-help for sexual difficulties : findings from a study with older adults in four European countries. European Journal of Ageing. View this article in WRRO
- Štulhofer A, Hinchliff S, Jurin T, Carvalheira A & Træen B (2018) Successful aging, change in sexual interest and sexual satisfaction in couples from four European Countries. European Journal of Ageing, 16(2), 155-165. View this article in WRRO
- Štulhofer A, Hinchliff S, Jurin T, Hald GM & Træen B (2018) Successful Aging and Changes in Sexual Interest and Enjoyment Among Older European Men and Women. The Journal of Sexual Medicine, 15(10), 1393-1402. View this article in WRRO
- Heywood W, Lyons A, Fileborn B, Hinchliff S, Minichiello V, Malta S, Barrett C & Dow B (2018) Sexual Satisfaction Among Older Australian Heterosexual Men and Women: Findings from the Sex, Age & Me Study. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy, 44(3), 295-307. View this article in WRRO
- Hinchliff S, Tetley J, Lee DM & Nazroo J (2018) Older Adults’ Experiences of Sexual Difficulties: Qualitative Findings From the English Longitudinal Study on Ageing (ELSA). Journal of Sex Research, 55(2), 152-163. View this article in WRRO
- Fileborn B, Lyons A, Heywood W, Hinchliff S, Malta S, Dow B, Brown G, Barrett C & Minichiello V (2017) Talking to healthcare providers about sex in later life: Findings from a qualitative study with older Australian men and women. Australasian Journal on Ageing, 36(4), E50-E56. View this article in WRRO