Tuition fees and additional costs
Examples of what is included in your tuition fee and other costs you may need to consider.
Tuition fees - what's included
Home and overseas undergraduate tuition fees include registration, tuition, initial examinations, and access to computer facilities, libraries, the Students’ Union, Careers Service, support services, chaplaincy and much more. They include most compulsory course-related items and will normally cover:
- Compulsory books/texts, where students are required to each have a copy with them for specific lectures/practical sessions
- Course packs - where these are provided, students will not be charged
- Compulsory field trips, including equipment, consumables, and transport. Students are usually expected to bring/buy their own food and refreshments
- Compulsory lab based equipment and study aids
Additional costs - examples
There are some additional items which are not included in the tuition fee. Some general examples are listed below:
- Accommodation and living costs
- Optional books or texts – personal copies will not be included in the tuition fee
- Optional field trips - where students have the option to go to alternative destinations, they may have to contribute part of the cost
- Electrical equipment e.g. laptops, digital cameras and calculators
- Resitting exams including professional accreditation exams
- Travel, accommodation, relocation and living costs for employment experience, industrial placements and clinical placements.
- Year and semesters abroad - travel, accommodation, relocation, living costs, health insurance, visas, vaccinations, ancillary materials and textbooks etc
- General printing and photocopying, including for dissertations and coursework
- Other charges for replacement ID cards, transcripts, degree certificates, late registration etc
- Travel for site visits
- DBS update service registration for professional programmes
A world-class university – a unique student experience
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.