Dr Iñaki Esnaola
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
+44 114 222 5648
Full contact details
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
Amy Johnson Building
I received my MSc in Electrical Engineering from the University of Navarra, Spain in 2006 and a PhD in Electrical Engineering from the University of Delaware, Newark, DE in 2011. I am currently a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering at The University of Sheffield, and a Visiting Research Collaborator in the Department of Electrical Engineering at Princeton University, NJ.
In 2010-2011 I was a Research Intern at Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent, Holmdel, NJ, and in 2011-2013 I was a Postdoctoral Research Associate at Princeton University. My research interests include information theory and communication theory with an emphasis on the application to electricity grid problems.
- Research interests
My research focuses on understanding the constraints imposed by incomplete or mismatched system information. Today, we are seeing a growing amount of stored electronic data, and larger more diverse networks whose agents interact with limited information.
However, many of the fundamental questions are still open. Tools from assorted communities such as information theory, probability theory, and random matrix theory among others, are proving useful but we are still lacking in our understanding of these systems and how to provide constructive guidelines for optimal algorithm design. My aim is to obtain a deeper understanding of the fundamental limits governing such systems.
- SwarmCom: an infra-red-based mobile ad-hoc network for severely constrained robots. Autonomous Robots, 44(1), 93-114. View this article in WRRO
- Optimal Model-Based Sensor Placement & Adaptive Monitoring Of An Oil Spill ⁎ ⁎ This document is a result of a research project funded by the University of Sheffield, the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) UK and Andrew Moore & Associates Ltd.. IFAC-PapersOnLine, 53(2), 1517-1524.
- Denial of Service Attacks on Control Systems with Packet Loss. IFAC-PapersOnLine, 53(2), 3488-3495.
- Stealth Attacks on the Smart Grid. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. View this article in WRRO
- Robust Recovery of Missing Data in Electricity Distribution Systems. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 10(4), 4057-4067. View this article in WRRO
- Approximate Capacity Region of the Two-User Gaussian Interference Channel with Noisy Channel-Output Feedback. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 64(7), 5326-5358. View this article in WRRO
- When Does Output Feedback Enlarge the Capacity of the Interference Channel?. IEEE Transactions on Communications, 66(2), 615-628. View this article in WRRO
- Tracking with Sparse and Correlated Measurements via a Shrinkage-based Particle Filter. IEEE Sensors Journal, 17(10), 3152-3164. View this article in WRRO
- Maximum Distortion Attacks in Electricity Grids. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 7(4), 2007-2015. View this article in WRRO
- Machine Learning Methods for Attack Detection in the Smart Grid. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 27(8), 1773-1786.
- Power Allocation Strategies in Energy Harvesting Wireless Cooperative Networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 13(2), 846-860.
- Achievable rate region for gaussian MIMO MAC with partial CSI. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 59(7), 4139-4170.
- Sparse attack construction and state estimation in the smart grid: Centralized and distributed models. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 31(7), 1306-1318.
- Linear analog coding of correlated multivariate gaussian sources. IEEE Transactions on Communications, 61(8), 3438-3447.
- SPADEH: A Sparsity Based Denoising Method of Digital Holograms without Knowing the Noise Statistics. Optics Express, 20(15), 17250-17257.
- Joint Source-Channel Coding of Sources with Memory using Turbo Codes and the Burrows-Wheeler Transform. IEEE Transactions on Communications, 58(7), 1984-1992.
- Data-Driven Modeling and Monitoring of Fuel Cell Performance. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy..
- Optimal Control over Multiple Input Lossy Channels.
Conference proceedings papers
- Information Theoretic Data Injection Attacks with Sparsity Constraints. 2020 IEEE International Conference on Communications, Control, and Computing Technologies for Smart Grids (SmartGridComm), 11 November 2020 - 13 November 2020.
- Universal privacy guarantees for smart meters. 2019 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT) (pp 2154-2158). Paris, France, 7 July 2019 - 12 July 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Recovery of Missing Data in Correlated Smart Grid Datasets. 2019 IEEE Data Science Workshop (DSW), 2 June 2019 - 5 June 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Learning Requirements for Stealth Attacks. ICASSP 2019 - 2019 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 12 May 2019 - 17 May 2019.
- Smart meter privacy via the trapdoor channel. Proceedings of 2017 IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm) (pp 277-282). Dresden, Germany, 23 October 2017 - 27 October 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Information-theoretic attacks in the smart grid. Proceedings of 2017 IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm) (pp 455-460). Dresden, Germany, 23 October 2017 - 27 October 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Decentralized MMSE attacks in electricity grids. 2016 IEEE Statistical Signal Processing Workshop (SSP), 26 June 2016 - 29 June 2016.
- Recovering missing data via matrix completion in electricity distribution systems. IEEE Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications, SPAWC, Vol. 2016-August View this article in WRRO
- Sea-surface reconstruction for surface marine vehicles: A matrix completion approach. 2016 UKACC 11th International Conference on Control (CONTROL), 31 August 2016 - 2 September 2016.
- Approximate capacity of the Gaussian interference channel with noisy channel-output feedback. 2016 IEEE Information Theory Workshop (ITW), 11 September 2016 - 14 September 2016. View this article in WRRO
- When Does Channel-Output Feedback Enlarge the Capacity Region of the Two-User Linear Deterministic Interference Channel? (pp 471-483)
- A Kriging algorithm for location fingerprinting based on received signal strength. 2015 Sensor Data Fusion: Trends, Solutions, Applications (SDF), 6 October 2015 - 8 October 2015. View this article in WRRO
- A shrinkage-based particle filter for tracking with correlated measurements. 2015 Sensor Data Fusion: Trends, Solutions, Applications (SDF), 6 October 2015 - 8 October 2015. View this article in WRRO
- Equilibria in data injection attacks. 2014 IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing (GlobalSIP), 3 December 2014 - 5 December 2014.
- Simultaneous Information and Power Transfer in Wireless Cooperative Networks. 8th International Conference on Communications and Networking in China. Guilin, China, 14 August 2013 - 16 February 2014.
- A Statistical Physics Approach to the Wiretap Channel. IEEE international Symposium on Information Theory. Istanbul, Turkey
- A new algorithm for digital holograms denoising based on compressed sensing. Optical Modelling and Design II
- Mismatched MMSE estimation of multivariate Gaussian sources. IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory - Proceedings (pp 716-720)
- Smarter security in the smart grid. 2012 IEEE 3rd International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, SmartGridComm 2012 (pp 312-317)
- Channel estimation impact over MIMO-MAC achievable rates. IEEE International Conference on Communications (pp 2521-2525)
- Distributed models for sparse attack construction and state vector estimation in the smart grid. 2012 IEEE 3rd International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, SmartGridComm 2012 (pp 306-311)
- Universal Denoising of Digital Holograms Using Compressed Sensing. EOS Topical Meeting on Optical Microsystems. Capri, Italy
- Orthogonal Matching Pursuit Based Recovery for Correlated Sources with Partially Disjoint Supports. Conference on Information Sciences and Systems. Princeton, NJ
- Distributed analog coding of correlated Gaussian sources. Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing. Monticello, IL
- Linear Analog Coding of General Multivariate Gaussian Sources. IEEE Information Theory Workshop. Taormina, Italy
- Distributed Analog Linear Coding of Correlated Gaussian Sources over Multiple Access Channels. IEEE International Symposium on Wireless Communications. Siena, Italy
- Analysis and Optimization of Distributed Linear Coding of Gaussian Sources. Conference on Information Sciences and Systems. Baltimore, MD
- MMSE Estimation of Distributely Coded Correlated Gaussian Sources Using Random Projections. IEEE Global Communications Conference. New Orleans, LA
- Distributed Compression of Correlated Signals Using Random Projections. Data Compression Conference. Snowbird, UT
- Distributed Compression of Correlated Real Sequences Using Random Projections. IEEE Information Theory Workshop. Porto, Portugal
- Exploiting Prior Knowledge in the Recovery of Signals from Noisy Random Projections. Data Compression Conference. Snowbird, UT
- Exploiting Prior Knowledge in the Recovery of Non-Sparse Signals from Noisy Random Projections. Conference on Information Sciences and Systems. Baltimore, MD
- Source Controlled Coding of Sources with Memory Using the Burrows Wheeler Transform. International Symposium on Turbo Codes. Munich, Germany
- Source controlled turbo coding of sources with Memory using the burrows wheeler transform. TURBO - CODING 2006 - 4th International Symposium on Turbo Codes and Related Topics and 6th International ITG-Conference on Source and Channel Coding
- Compresión de Fuentes con Memoria mediante Códigos LDPC y la Transformada de Burrows-Wheeler. Simposium Nacional de la Unión Científica Internacional de Radio. Gandia, Spain
- Method Apparatus for Low Complexity Robust Reconstruction of Noisy Signals. (United States). Appl. 21 Mar 2013.
- Professional activities
Tulino AM & Esnaola I (2013) Method Apparatus for Low Complexity Robust Reconstruction of Noisy Signals. (United States). Appl. 21 Mar 2013