Dr Paul Trodden
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
+44 114 222 5679
Full contact details
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
Amy Johnson Building
Dr Paul Trodden is a Lecturer in the Department of Automatic Control & Systems Engineering (ACSE), University of Sheffield.
Paul received the MEng degree in Engineering Science from the University of Oxford in 2003, and a PhD in Aerospace Engineering (thesis: Robust distributed control of constrained linear systems) from the University of Bristol in 2009. Between 2009 and 2010, he was a post-doctoral research assistant in the Department of Aerospace Engineering at Univ. Bristol, while from 2010 to 2012 he was a post-doctoral research associate in the School of Mathematics, University of Edinburgh.
At Edinburgh, he was a member of the Edinburgh Research Group in Optimization (ERGO) and the Edinburgh Optimization for Energy group. Between 2003 and 2005, he worked as a Systems Engineer for BAE Systems Avionics in Edinburgh.
Dr Trodden is a member of the Intelligent Systems, Decision and Control (ISDC) research group.
- Research interests
My research interests lie in control theory and optimization, with particular focus on the following topics. For papers, please see my list of publications below or my Google Scholar profile.
Robust, adaptive and distributed model predictive control
I lead research in the theory and algorithms for control of large-scale, constrained dynamic systems. Our focus is on developing controllers that are implementable (in terms of design simplicity and computational tractability) yet achieve desirable guarantees (e.g. of stability, constraint satisfaction).
Set-theoretic methods for control
My research in this area involves developing theory and algorithms for the characterization and computation of invariant sets for uncertain systems. These sets play an important and fundamental role in the analysis and design of advanced control systems.
Control and optimization in smart grids
My current research in this area applies predictive control theory and efficient optimization algorithms to control and planning problems in smart grids and power networks. I have published research on problems including optimal power flow (OPF), economic dispatch, load-frequency control, and controlled islanding for the prevention of blackouts. (See the on-line archive of test cases for OPF problems with local optima.)
Advanced control for gas turbine engines and aerospace applications
I lead control-themed research within the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre in Control, Monitoring and Systems Engineering. Current research involves developing advanced control laws for the next generation of large civil gas turbine engines.
- Stabilizing predictive control with persistence of excitation for constrained linear systems. Systems & Control Letters, 126, 58-66. View this article in WRRO
- Switching Tube-Based MPC: Characterization of Minimum Dwell-Time for Feasible and Robustly Stable Switching. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 64(10), 4345-4352. View this article in WRRO
- Model Predictive Control of Linear Systems With Preview Information: Feasibility, Stability, and Inherent Robustness. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 64(9), 3831-3838. View this article in WRRO
- Low-Complexity Distributed Predictive Automatic Generation Control with Guaranteed Properties. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 8(6), 3045-3054. View this article in WRRO
- Distributed predictive control with minimization of mutual disturbances. Automatica, 77, 31-43. View this article in WRRO
- A One-Step Approach to Computing a Polytopic Robust Positively Invariant Set. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 61(12), 4100-4105. View this article in WRRO
- Feasible parallel-update distributed MPC for uncertain linear systems sharing convex constraints. Systems & Control Letters, 74, 98-107. View this article in WRRO
- Optimization-Based Islanding of Power Networks Using Piecewise Linear AC Power Flow. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 29(3), 1212-1220.
- Model predictive control application to spacecraft rendezvous in mars sample return scenario. Progress in Flight Dynamics, Guidance, Navigation, Control, Fault Detection, and Avionics, 6, 137-158. View this article in WRRO
- Local Solutions of the Optimal Power Flow Problem. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 28(4), 4780-4788. View this article in WRRO
- Cooperative distributed MPC of linear systems with coupled constraints. Automatica, 49(2), 479-487. View this article in WRRO
- MILP formulation for controlled islanding of power networks. International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 45(1), 501-508. View this article in WRRO
- Model predictive control system design and implementation for spacecraft rendezvous. Control Engineering Practice, 20(7), 695-713. View this article in WRRO
- Distributed model predictive control of linear systems with persistent disturbances. International Journal of Control, 83(8), 1653-1663. View this article in WRRO
- Coalitional predictive control: consensus-based coalition forming with robust regulation.
- Actuation attacks on constrained linear systems: a set-theoretic analysis.
- Controlled islanding as robust operator response under uncertainty In Kovacevic RM, Pflug GC & Vespucci MT (Ed.), Handbook of Risk Management in Energy Production and Trading (pp. 203-228). Springer
- Cooperative Tube-based Distributed MPC for Linear Uncertain Systems Coupled Via Constraints In Maestre Torreblanca JM & Negenborn RR (Ed.), Distributed Model Predictive Control Made Easy (pp. 57-72). Dordrecht: Springer.
Conference proceedings papers
- On feasible sets for coalitional MPC. 2019 IEEE 58th Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), 11 December 2019 - 13 December 2019.
- Low-complexity robust decentralized MPC: a foundational algorithm for constrained coalitional control. 2019 IEEE 58th Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), 11 December 2019 - 13 December 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Model Predictive Load Frequency Control of a Deregulated Power System with Battery Energy Storage. 2019 IEEE Conference on Control Technology and Applications (CCTA), 19 August 2019 - 21 August 2019.
- Reinforcement learning for condition-based control of gas turbine engines. 2019 18th European Control Conference (ECC), 25 June 2019 - 28 June 2019. View this article in WRRO
- A Distributed Model Predictive Control Scheme with Robustness Against Noncompliant Controllers. 2018 IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), 17 December 2018 - 19 December 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Learning MPC: System stability and convergent identification under bounded modelling error. Proceedings of the 2018 Australian & New Zealand Control Conference (ANZCC 2018), 7 December 2018 - 8 December 2018.
- Life lessons from and for distributed MPC – Part 2: Choice of decision makers. IFAC-PapersOnLine, Vol. 51(30) (pp 107-111), 13 September 2018 - 15 September 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Life lessons from and for distributed MPC – Part 1: Dynamics of cooperation. IFAC-PapersOnLine, Vol. 51(30) (pp 101-106), 13 September 2018 - 15 September 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Nested distributed MPC. Proceedings of the IFAC 2017 World Congress, 9 July 2017 - 14 July 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Distributed MPC: Guaranteeing Global Stability from Locally Designed Tubes. Proceedings of the IFAC 2017 World Congress, Vol. 50(1) (pp 11829-11834), 9 July 2017 - 14 July 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Weak Interactions Based System Partitioning Using Integer Linear Programming. Proceedings of the IFAC 2017 World Congress View this article in WRRO
- Distributed model predictive load frequency control of a deregulated power system. Proceedings of the 2016 UKACC 11th International Conference on Control (CONTROL). Belfast, 31 August 2016 - 2 September 2016.
- Distributed model predictive control using a chain of tubes. Proceedings of the 2016 UKACC 11th International Conference on Control (CONTROL). Belfast, 31 August 2016 - 2 September 2016.
- Output Feedback Quasi-Distributed MPC for Linear Systems Coupled via Dynamics and Constraints. Proceedings of the 2016 UKACC 11th International Conference on Control (CONTROL). Belfast, 31 August 2016 - 2 September 2016.
- Persistently Exciting Tube MPC. American Control Conference (ACC), 2016. Boston MA, 6 July 2016 - 8 November 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Distributed MPC with Minimization of Mutual Disturbance Sets. American Control Conference (ACC), 2016. Boston MA, 6 July 2016 - 8 July 2016.
- Learning of cooperative behaviour in robot populations. Proceedings of the 2016 European Control Conference (ECC) (pp 184-189), 29 June 2016 - 1 July 2016.
- Generalized model for load frequency control studies in a deregulated environment. Proceedings of the 2016 European Control Conference (ECC). Aalborg, 29 June 2016 - 1 July 2016.
- Model predictive load frequency control of a two-area deregulated power system. Proceedings of the 2015 European Control Conference (ECC) (pp 1044-1049). Linz, 15 July 2015 - 17 July 2015.
- An interactive methodology to explore optimization scenarios of a self-reconfigurable factory. IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation, ETFA, Vol. 2015-October
- A Survey of Techniques and Opportunities in Power System Automatic Generation Control. Proceedings of the 2014 UKACC 10th International Conference on Control (CONTROL 2014). Loughborough, 9 July 2014 - 11 July 2014.
- Highly flexible self-reconfigurable systems for rapid layout formation to offer manufacturing services. Proceedings - 2013 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, SMC 2013 (pp 4819-4824)
- MILP islanding of power networks by bus splitting. IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting
- Model predictive control application to spacecraft rendezvous in Mars sample return scenario. European Conference for Aero-Space Sciences (EUCASS). St Petersburg, 4 July 2011 - 8 July 2011.
- Distributed model predictive control as a game with coupled constraints. Proceedings of the 2009 European Control Conference (ECC) (pp 2996-3001). Budapest, 23 August 2009 - 26 August 2009.
- Adaptive cooperation in robust distributed model predictive control. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Control Applications (pp 896-901)
- Multi-vehicle cooperative search using distributed model predictive control. AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference and Exhibit
- Robust distributed model predictive control with cooperation. Proceedings of the 2007 European Control Conference (ECC) (pp 2172-2178). Kos, Greece, 2 July 2007 - 5 July 2007.
- Robust distributed model predictive control using Tubes. Proceedings of the American Control Conference, Vol. 2006 (pp 2034-2039)
- Local solutions of the optimal power flow problem, ERGO preprint 13-018, School of Mathematics, University of Edinburgh
- MILP islanding of power networks by bus splitting, ERGO preprint 11-016, School of Mathematics, University of Edinburgh
- Local solutions of optimal power flow, ERGO preprint 11-017, School of Mathematics, University of Edinburgh
- MILP formulation for islanding of power networks, ERGO preprint 11-015, School of Mathematics, University of Edinburgh
- Research group
I am keen to hear from outstanding, motivated students who are interested in studying for a PhD in a topic related to my research interests; some example project topics may be found here.
You will need to apply by following the process here, nominating me as primary supervisor. Please contact me beforehand to discuss your application. Please note that, if your application is successful, the offer of a PhD does not mean that the project will be funded; more information about fees, funding and scholarships may be found here.
Current and past students include:
- Amba J. Asuk (Topic: Distributed random convex programming for robust optimal control of large-scale systems)
- Abidemi Ajiborisha (Topic: Load-frequency control incorporating renewable energy resources)
- Kacper Grzedzinski (Topic: Adaptive model predictive control for condition-based gas turbine engine control)
- Romain Guicherd (with Visakan Kadirkamanathan) (Topic: Distributed model-based control for gas turbine engines)
- Bernardo Hernandez Vicente (Thesis: Model predictive control for linear systems: adaptive, distributed and switching implementations)
- Pablo Baldivieso Monasterios (Thesis: Distributed model predictive control for reconfigurable large-scale systems)
- Eyefujirin Ejegi (with Anthony Rossiter) (Thesis: Model predictive based load frequency control studies in a deregulated environment
- Professional activities
- Associate Editor, IET Smart Grid
- Member, EPSRC Peer Review Associate College
- Member, IEEE Control Systems Society and IEEE Power & Energy Society
- Member, IFAC Technical Committee 2.3 (Non-linear Control Systems)
- Member, IEEE CSS Technical Committee on Smart Grids
- Outstanding reviewer, Automatica, 2014/15 and 2016/17
- Outstanding reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 2016