Dr Viktor Fedun
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
Senior Lecturer in Control and Systems Engineering
+44 114 222 5197
Full contact details
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
Amy Johnson Building
- Research interests
My research is primarily concerned with the mathematical modelling of physics of
- solar/space plasmas;
- sun-solar wind;
- solar-terrestrial systems.
The study of processes occurring in such systems is crucially important for understanding the Sun, predicting Space Weather and understanding the dynamics of laboratory and technological plasmas. This includes mathematical modelling of solar magnetic flux tubes and processes that heat and maintain the coronal plasma at multi-million degree temperatures; studying fundamental plasma processes such as waves and instabilities in inhomogeneous media; determining the physical parameters of solar magnetic structures.
For online simulations of Kelvin-Helmholtz Instability, Kelvin-Helmholtz Instability with a magnetic field, Orszag-Tang Vortex, MHD Waves propagation in the Realistic solar atmosphere and Validation of MHD Code for Gravitationally Stratified Media on Graphical Processing Units see simulations.
- Model of the propagation of very low-frequency beams in the Earth–ionosphere waveguide: principles of the tensor impedance method in multi-layered gyrotropic waveguides. Annales Geophysicae, 38(1), 207-230. View this article in WRRO
- The effect of the August 21, 2017 total solar eclipse on the phase of VLF/LF signals. Earth and Space Science. View this article in WRRO
- Modelling 3D magnetic networks in a realistic solar atmosphere. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 489(1), 28-35. View this article in WRRO
- Strong influence of solar X-ray flares on low-frequency electromagnetic signals in middle latitudes. Annales Geophysicae, 37(5), 843-850. View this article in WRRO
- Sheffield students win US rocket competition. Astronomy & Geophysics, 60(3), 3.36-3.37. View this article in WRRO
- In situ generation of coronal Alfvén waves by jets. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 484(2), 1936-1945. View this article in WRRO
- Dust Devils: Structural Features, Dynamics and Climate Impact. Climate, 7(1). View this article in WRRO
- Vortex Flows in the Solar Atmoshpere: Automated Identification and Statistical Analysis. Astrophysical Journal, 869(2). View this article in WRRO
- Flows and magnetic field structures in reconnection regions of simulations of the solar atmosphere: Do flux pile-up models work?. Astronomy and Astrophysics, 620. View this article in WRRO
- On the Stability of Incompressible MHD Modes in Magnetic Cylinder with Twisted Magnetic Field and Flow. The Astrophysical Journal, 866(2). View this article in WRRO
- Varying Driver Velocity Fields in Photospheric MHD Wave Simulations. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. View this article in WRRO
- Tornado model for a magnetised plasma. Physics of Plasmas, 25(5), 054503-054503. View this article in WRRO
- Magnetic Shocks and Substructures Excited by Torsional Alfvén Wave Interactions in Merging Expanding Flux Tubes. The Astrophysical Journal, 857, 125-125. View this article in WRRO
- I. Jet Formation and Evolution due to 3D Magnetic Reconnection. The Astrophysical Journal, 856. View this article in WRRO
- Preface: MHD wave phenomena in the solar interior and atmosphere. Advances in Space Research, 61(2), 593-594. View this article in WRRO
- Solar atmosphere wave dynamics generated by solar global oscillating eigenmodes. Advances in Space Research. View this article in WRRO
- Magnetic swirls and associated fast magnetoacoustic kink waves in a solar chromospheric flux tube. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. View this article in WRRO
- The Frequency-dependent Damping of Slow Magnetoacoustic Waves in a Sunspot Umbral Atmosphere. The Astrophysical Journal, 847(1). View this article in WRRO
- Incompressible magnetohydrodynamic modes in the thin magnetically twisted flux tube. Astronomy & Astrophysics, 604. View this article in WRRO
- An Inside Look at Sunspot Oscillations with Higher Azimuthal Wavenumbers. The Astrophysical Journal, 842(1), 59-59. View this article in WRRO
- Project SunbYte: solar astronomy on a budget. Astronomy and Geophysics, 58(2), 2.24-2.25. View this article in WRRO
- JET Formation in Solar Atmosphere Due to Magnetic Reconnection. The Astrophysical Journal, 836(1). View this article in WRRO
- Ground-based acoustic parametric generator impact on the atmosphere and ionosphere in an active experiment. Annales Geophysicae, 35(1), 53-70. View this article in WRRO
- "Explosively growing" vortices of unstably stratified atmosphere. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 121(19), 11,264-11,268. View this article in WRRO
- Resonant absorption of axisymmetric modes in twisted magnetic flux tubes. The Astrophysical Journal, 823(2). View this article in WRRO
- Dust devil dynamics. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 121(12), 7197-7214. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of the total solar eclipse of March 20, 2015, on VLF/LF propagation. Geomagnetism and Aeronomy, 56(3), 323-330. View this article in WRRO
- Response to “Comment on ‘Large-scale Alfvén vortices’” [Phys. Plasmas 23, 034703 (2016)]. Physics of Plasmas, 23(3). View this article in WRRO
- The Nonlinear Evolution of a a Twist in a Magnetic Shocktube. The Astrophysical Journal, 817(2), 92-92. View this article in WRRO
- Ionospheric perturbations related to the earthquake in Vrancea area on November 22, 2014, as detected by electromagnetic VLF/LF frequency signals. Annals of Geophysics, 58(5).
- Large-scale Alfvén vortices. Physics of Plasmas, 22(12), 122901-122901.
- Oblique Bernstein Mode Generation Near the Upper-hybrid Frequency in Solar Pre-flare Plasmas. Solar Physics, 290(11), 3331-3341.
- Wave Damping Observed in Upwardly Propagating Sausage-mode Oscillations contained within a Magnetic Pore. The Astrophysical Journal. View this article in WRRO
- A Fast MHD Code for Gravitationally Stratified Media using Graphical Processing Units: SMAUG. Journal of Astrophysics and Astronomy, 36(1), 197-223. View this article in WRRO
- Multiwavelength Studies of MHD Waves in the Solar Chromosphere. Space Science Reviews, 190(1-4), 103-161. View this article in WRRO
- Editorial. Journal of Astrophysics and Astronomy, 36(1), 1-3.
- VLF/LF signal studies of the ionospheric response to strong seismic activity in the Far Eastern region combining the DEMETER and ground-based observations. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, Parts A/B/C, 85-86, 141-149.
- Detection of tsunami-driven phase and amplitude perturbations of subionospheric VLF signals following the 2010 Chile earthquake. Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics, 119(6), 5012-5019. View this article in WRRO
- Excitation of planetary electromagnetic waves in the inhomogeneous ionosphere. Annales Geophysicae, 32(4), 449-463.
- Tsunami-driven ionospheric perturbations associated with the 2011 Tohoku earthquake'e as detected by subionospheric VLF signals. Geomatics, Natural Hazards and Risk.
- Convection cells of internal gravity waves in the terrestrial atmosphere. Doklady Earth Sciences, 454(1), 37-39.
- Rolls of the internal gravity waves in the Earth's atmosphere. ANNALES GEOPHYSICAE, 32(2), 181-186.
- Ionospheric effects of the Mt. Kirishima volcanic eruption as seen from subionospheric VLF observations. Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, 107, 54-59.
- The ion-acoustic instability in the pre-flare plasma near the loop footpoints at solar active regions. Annales Geophysicae, 31(12), 2193-2200. View this article in WRRO
- Convective cells of internal gravity waves in the earth's atmosphere with finite temperature gradient. ANNALES GEOPHYSICAE, 31(3), 459-462.
- Magnetic tornadoes as energy channels into the solar corona.. Nature, 486(7404), 505-508.
- MHD waves generated by high-frequency photospheric vortex motions. ANN GEOPHYS-GERMANY, 29(6), 1029-1035.
- Frequency filtering of torsional Alfvén waves by chromospheric magnetic field. Astrophysical Journal Letters, 740(2).
- The response of a three-dimensional solar atmosphere to wave-driven jets. Astrophysical Journal, 743(1).
- Numerical modeling of footpoint-driven magneto-acoustic wave propagation in a localized solar flux tube. Astrophysical Journal, 727(1).
- Photospheric magnetic vortex structures. ANN GEOPHYS-GERMANY, 29(5), 883-887.
- Magneto-Acoustic Waves in Compressible Magnetically Twisted Flux Tubes. SOL PHYS, 263(1-2), 63-85.
- Nonlinear Mirror and Weibel modes: Peculiarities of quasi-linear dynamics. Annales Geophysicae, 28(12), 2161-2167.
- Oscillatory Response of the 3D Solar Atmosphere to the Leakage of Photospheric Motion. SOL PHYS, 258(2), 219-241. View this article in WRRO
- Acoustic wave propagation in the solar sub-photosphere with localised magnetic field concentration: effect of magnetic tension. ASTRON ASTROPHYS, 501(2), 735-743. View this article in WRRO
- Generation of short-lived large-amplitude magnetohydrodynamic pulses by dispersive focusing. PHYS LETT A, 372(39), 6107-6110. View this article in WRRO
- Magnetohydrodynamic code for gravitationally-stratified media. ASTRON ASTROPHYS, 486(2), 655-662. View this article in WRRO
- Nonlinear mirror waves in non-Maxwellian space plasmas. J GEOPHYS RES-SPACE, 113(A4). View this article in WRRO
- Are there Alfvén waves in the solar atmosphere?. Science, 318(5856), 1572-1574.
- Qualitative analysis of wave propagation in a 3-D magnetic flux tube. Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union, 3(S247), 355-359.
- Sausage MHD waves in incompressible flux tubes with twisted magnetic fields. SOL PHYS, 238(1), 41-59.
- Solitary wave propagation in solar flux tubes. PHYS PLASMAS, 13(3).
- MHD waves in magnetically twisted solar atmospheric flux tubes. Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union, 2(233), 134-135.
- The transformation of long scale Alfvén waves in space dusty plasma. Kinematika i Fizika Nebesnykh Tel, 5, 192-195.
- The generation of kinetic Alfven waves in dust plasma. Kinematika i Fizika Nebesnykh Tel, 20(6), 518-524.
- Nonlinear parametric interaction of MHD waves in space plasma. Kinematika i Fizika Nebesnykh Tel, 20(3), 219-225.
- The transformation of MHD Alfvén waves in space plasma. Journal of Plasma Physics, 70(6), 699-707.
- Solitary wave propagation from the photosphere into the solar corona. European Space Agency, (Special Publication) ESA SP(547), 63-67.
- Transformation of magnetoacoustic waves in space plasma. Kinematika i Fizika Nebesnykh Tel, 19(4), 328-333.
- The nonlinear interaction of the whistler wave with the inertial alfven wave in the magnetosphere of the Earth. Kosmìčna nauka ì tehnologìâ, 8(5-6), 96-101.
- Transformation of the MHD Alfven waves in space plasma. Kinematika i Fizika Nebesnykh Tel, 18(5), 441-449.
- About generation of high-frequency electron acoustic waves in the Earth's magnetosphere. Kinematika i Fizika Nebesnykh Tel, 18(3), 273-281.
- Generation of the kinetic alfven wave and lower hybrid wave in space plasma. Kosmìčna nauka ì tehnologìâ, 7(2s), 59-66.
- Parametric excitation of lower hybrid waves in the magnetospheric plasma. Kinematika i Fizika Nebesnykh Tel, 17(5), 437-445.
- Nonlinear interaction of MHD waves and solar corona heating. Kinematika i Fizika Nebesnykh Tel(3), 477-480.
- Parametric interaction of whistler waves and kinetic Alfvén waves in the space plasmas. Kinematika i Fizika Nebesnykh Tel(3), 483-489.
- Generation of kinetic Alfvén waves by lower hybrid pump waves.. Kinematics and Physics of Celestial Bodies, 15(2), 77-83.
- Generation of kinetic Alfven waves by upper-hybrid pump waves. J PLASMA PHYS, 60, 485-495.
- Nonlinear mechanism of the generation of lower hybrid waves in cosmic plasmas. Kosmìčna nauka ì tehnologìâ, 4(5-6), 41-45.
- Generation of electromagnetic radiation by an upper hybrid pumping wave in a magnetized plasma. Kosmìčna nauka ì tehnologìâ, 4(1), 102-107.
- Non-linear mechanism of generation and formation of the fine structure of the space electromagnetic radiation. Informational Bulletin of the Ukrainian Astronomical Association(12), 42-43.
- Nonlinear Mechanism of the Generation of Lower Hybrid Waves in Cosmic Plasmas. Kosmichna Nauka i Tekhnologiya, 4(5/6), 41-45.
- Parametric excitation of upper hybrid and kinetic alfven waves in a magnetized plasma. Kosmìčna nauka ì tehnologìâ, 4(1), 108-112.
- Nonlinear interection of alfven waves and ionic acoustic waves in a magnetized plasma. Kosmìčna nauka ì tehnologìâ, 2(3-4), 44-48.
- Structure and dynamics of concentrated mesoscale vortices in the atmospheres of planets. Physics-Uspekhi.
- Dust devil vortex generation from convective cells. Annales Geophysicae, 33(11), 1343-1347.
- WAVE DAMPING OBSERVED IN UPWARDLY PROPAGATING SAUSAGE-MODE OSCILLATIONS CONTAINED WITHIN A MAGNETIC PORE. The Astrophysical Journal, 806(1), 132-132.
- Generation of Magnetohydrodynamic Waves in Low Solar Atmospheric Flux Tubes by Photospheric Motions. View this article in WRRO
- Correlation of very low and low frequency signal variations at mid-latitudes with magnetic activity and outer-zone particles. Annales Geophysicae, 32(12), 1455-1462.
- Meteorological effects in the lower ionosphere as based on VLF/LF signal observations. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 14(10), 2671-2679.
- Magnetohydrostatic equilibrium. II. Three-dimensional multiple open magnetic flux tubes in the stratified solar atmosphere. ApJ, 789, 42-56. View this article in WRRO
- Meteorological effects in the lower ionosphere as based on VLF/LF signal observations. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences Discussions, 2(4), 2789-2812.
- Magnetohydrostatic equilibrium. I: Three-dimensional open magnetic flux tube in the stratified solar atmosphere. MNRAS, 435, 689-697. View this article in WRRO
- Evidence for the photospheric excitation of incompressible chromospheric waves. View this article in WRRO
- Observational Evidence of Sausage-Pinch Instability in Solar Corona by SDO/AIA. View this article in WRRO
- 3D Simulations of Magnetohydrodynamic Waves in the Magnetized Solar Atmosphere. The Astrophysical Journal, 2012, Volume 755, Issue 1, 18. View this article in WRRO
- Generation of quasi-periodic waves and flows in the solar atmosphere by oscillatory reconnection. (2012) ApJ, 749, 30.
- Vortices in the solar photosphere.
- View this article in WRRO Photospheric high-frequency acoustic power excess in sunspot umbra: signature of magneto-acoustic modes.
- Phase effects in subionospheric VLF/LF signals observed at middle and low latitudes during the August 21, 2017 total solar eclipse.
- Model of propagation of VLF beams in the waveguide earth-ionosphere. Principles of tensor impedance method in multilayered gyrotropic waveguides. Annales Geophysicae. View this article in WRRO
- Analysis of 3D plasma motions in a chromospheric jet formed due to magnetic reconnection. View this article in WRRO
- AXISYMMETRIC MODES IN MAGNETIC FLUX TUBES WITH INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL MAGNETIC TWIST. The Astrophysical Journal, 810(1). View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- View this article in WRRO Sheffield University solar balloon lifted telescope (SUNBYTE - BEXUS 25, HASP 2018, HASP 2019). 24th ESA Symposium on European Rocket and Balloon Programmes and Related Research Proceedings (pp 327-334). Noordwijk, The Netherlands, 16 June 2019 - 20 June 2019.
- View this article in WRRO Sheffield University Nova Rocket Innovative Design Engineering (SUNRIDE). 24th ESA Symposium on European Rocket and Balloon Programmes and Related Research Proceedings (pp 122-127). Noordwijk, The Netherlands, 16 June 2019 - 20 June 2019.
- Impedance method for electromagnetic beams (IMEB) in multilayered gyrotropic waveguides with thick cover layer, propagating and leakage modes. Proceedings of European Microwave Conference in Central Europe, EuMCE 2019 (pp 587-590)
- View this article in WRRO Sheffield University Solar Balloon Lifted Telescope (SunbYte - BEXUS 25). 2nd Symposium on Space Educational Activities, Vol. 1 (pp 108-112). Budapest, 2018, 11 April 2018 - 13 April 2018.
- Solar X-Ray Flares Influence on VLF/LF Signals in Different Middle-Latitudes Paths. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference "Problems of Geocosmos", 6 October 2014 - 10 October 2014.
- Nonlinear dynamics of mirror instability revisited. AIP Conference Proceedings, Vol. 1306 (pp 136-144)
- Numerical Simulation of Acoustic Wave Propagation in the Solar Sub-Photosphere with Localized Magnetic Field Concentration. SOLAR-STELLAR DYNAMOS AS REVEALED BY HELIO AND ASTEROSEISMOLOGY: GONG 2008/SOHO 21, Vol. 416 (pp 167-170)
- Nonlinear Dynamics of Mirror Waves in Non-Maxwellian Plasmas. 2007 ICTP Summer College on Plasma Physics (pp 195-220). Abdus Salem International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy, 20 July 2007 - 24 August 2007.
- Linear MHD sausage waves in compressible magnetically twisted flux tubes. SOLAR PHYSICS, Vol. 246(1) (pp 101-118)
- Trapped eigenoscillations in the lower solar atmosphere: Is there a resonant coupling?. Physics of Chromospheric Plasmas, Vol. 368 (pp 187-192)
- Transformation of the Alfvén Waves in the Low Beta Plasma. Publications of the Astronomy Department of the Eötvös University (PADEU), Vol. 13 (pp 145-150)
- Excitation of fast and slow magnetosonic waves by kinetic Alfven waves. WAVES IN DUSTY, SOLAR, AND SPACE PLASMAS, Vol. 537 (pp 311-316)
- The Sheffield Space Initiative - Introduction, Motivation, and Impact Assessment. 3rd Symposium on Space Educational Activities (pp 117-120). Leicester, UK, 16 September 2019 - 18 September 2019. View this article in WRRO
- 16 October 2013 - Cooperation between Sheffield and Russia - ROYAL SOCIETY - £11,760 (PI, App No. 136764)
- 10 December 2013 - India-UK Scientific Seminar Scheme - R2, ROYAL SOCIETY - £5,000 (PI, App No. 137804)
- 15 December 2014 - Application to STFC for Consolidated Grant Support for the Solar Physics and Space Plasma Research Centre (SP2RC), SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY FACILITIES COUNCIL - £73,076 (App No. 139622)
- 23 December 2014 - PROGRESS, EUROPEAN COMMISSION - HORIZON 2020 - £80,884 (App No. 140281)
- 23 December 2014 - ATST UK Consortium-PPRP bid - SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY FACILITIES COUNCIL - £18,31 (App No. 139338)
- 12 March 2015 - Hardware for initiation of observations of the cracking-induced pre-seismic geophysical fields in the UK - ROYAL SOCIETY - £6,120 (PI, App No. 142461)
- Teaching activities
ACS123 Systems Engineering Mathematics (ACADEMIC YEAR 2013~14)
- Professional activities
- ST33: Multi-scale plasma wave processes in the solar atmosphere
Singapore, 2-7 August 2015
Conveners: Viktor Fedun, The University of Sheffield, UK
Leon Ofman, Catholic University of America and NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, USA
Dipankar Banerjee, Indain Institute of Astrophysics, India
7-11 September 2015, Lviv, Ukraine