Welcome to Deep Search
Deep Search is a way of thinking about where you are right now, what to change and where you would like to be.
This is a way of thinking about where you are right now, what to change and where you would like to be.
An exploration of your life, actions, relationships and views, now and in the future.
We have compiled categories of resources to help you think about where you are right now, what to change and where you would like to be.
Hobbies and pastimes
Some of the hobbies and pastimes available at the University and elsewhere in Sheffield.
- Give It A Go: An events programme full of one off activities for University of Sheffield students to try.
- Sheffield student societies: All the clubs and societies recognised by the Students' Union at the University of Sheffield.
- Volunteer your time: Voluntary opportunities in Sheffield and elsewhere.
- Sheffield Volunteering: Voluntary opportunities in Sheffield.
- Voluntary Action Sheffield: Support and leadership for the voluntary sector in Sheffield.
- Spotify discount: A digital music service that gives access to millions of songs.
- Record Collector: Buy, sell and part exchange vinyl and CDs in Sheffield.
- Tramlines festival: A three-day music festival in Sheffield.
- Heeley City Farm: A city farm in Heeley, Sheffield, with various farm animals.
- Whirlow Hall Farm: A working farm for educational visits.
- Mayfield Alpacas Animal Park: Alpacas, exotic birds, meerkats and more.
- Central Library Reading Group: A reading group at Sheffield Central Library.
- Book clubs: Book clubs in or near Sheffield.
- Blank Street Writers: A Sheffield writing community.
- Start a writing group: 10 tips for starting a writing group.
- Quakers: A faith group committed to working for equality and peace.
- Soka Gakkai International UK: A lay Buddhist organisation.
Campaigning and politics
- New Statesman: Liberal and independent journalism about Britain's current affairs.
- The Economist: An international weekly newspaper that focuses on current affairs, international business, politics, and technology.
- The Tablet: A weekly review of international Roman Catholic news.
Contemplation, prayer and meditation
- Resources in Sheffield
- Different types of prayer services in Sheffield
- Resources in the rest of the UK
- Retreat in Daily Life: A chance to make some quiet prayerful space without leaving home or taking time away from work.
- Contemplative Fire: A dispersed community of Christ at the edge, inviting you into transformative awareness.
- Learning to pray: Suggestions about how to pray, provided by the Church of England.
- Greenbelt - forgiveness and reconciliation: A festival of arts, faith and justice held annually in England.
- Introduction to Sacramental Confession: The sacrament of Confession explained.
- Scripture Union: Daily online Bible reading and prayer resources.
- Moot: Written and audio prayer exercises and patterns for daily prayer.
- Morning Bell: A Facebook group with a daily prayer image from Ian Adams.
- i-church: The Diocese of Oxford's online Christian community with online liturgies, prayer forum and worship.
- Quakers - deliberately spending time together in silence: A faith group committed to working for equality and peace.
- Soka Gakkai International UK: A lay Buddhist organisation.
- Resources in the rest of the world
- Taizé: An ecumenical Christian monastic fraternity in Taizé, Burgundy, France.
- Ignation Examen: A spirituality for everyday life, insisting that God is present in our world and active in our lives.
- Sacred Space: Daily guided Christian prayer.
- Pray As You Go app: A daily prayer session for people on the go.
- Community of Aidan and Hilda: Morning, midday, evening and night prayer, plus readings with reflections.
- Henri Nouwen: Daily email meditations from Henri Nouwen's writings.
- Centre for Action and Contemplation: Daily email meditations from the writings of Richard Rohr.
- St Pixels: A church on the internet with online and Facebook based worship, prayer and discussion.
- Prayers for every occasion: Prayers for all sorts of everyday matters.
- Exercises to build up your spiritual muscles: Five ways to know God more intimately.
- Spiritual growth exercises: Six spiritual growth exercises, including Bible studies and different types of prayer.
- Exercises for spiritual strength: Seven exercises or habits to 'build your spiritual physique'.
- A Christian's spiritual exercise: A Bible study looking at private and coroprate spiritual exercise.
Communicating and making a difference
- Amnesty International: The world's leading human rights organisation, campaigning against injustice and inequality everywhere.
- 38 Degrees: One of the UK's largest campaign organisations.
- Avaaz: A campaigning community bringing people-powered politics to decision making worldwide.
- Sheffield RAG (Raising And Giving): Fundraising events throughout the academic year, organised by Sheffield Students' Union.
- Wrestling with doubt: A Christian perspective on dealing with doubt in the spiritual life.
- Talk to a chaplain: Contact details for talking to a chaplain at the University of Sheffield.
- Discussion group: A group run by Upper Chapel Unitarian Church discussing topics in areas around modern living, current affairs, psychology and spirituality.
- Encounters course: Find out more about Christianity by taking Christ Church Fulwood's seven-week course.
- Alpha course: The basics of Christianity explored, normally over a period of around 10 weeks.
- Grants for Christian residential experiences (current students only): Subsidies of up to £160 each to students who want to go on a trip away to develop their understanding of the Christian faith and of themselves. Contact us to find out more.
- Whirlow Spirituality Centre: This small Christian centre, with a beautiful chapel, in south Sheffield offers daytime retreats and reflection days.
- Community of the Resurrection, Mirfield: This Christian monastery in West Yorkshire welcomes people for retreats, including overnight accommodation, and study days.
- Alnmouth Friary: Located on the Northumberland coast, this Christian friary welcomes prople for retreats including overnight accommodation.
- Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham: A Christian shrine in Norfolk that many people make pilgrimages to.
- Secular retreat house: A modern secular retreat house in Devon.
A world-class university – a unique student experience
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.