Psychological health in context: social, economic and relational determinants
The group aims to develop our understanding of these factors and to develop clinical interventions capable of reducing distress. These may be organisational, systemic, community or individual.
Key areas of interest
- Attachment and its’ relationship to psychological well-being, help-seeking and identity
- Adversity and childhood trauma, their relationship to psychological health, and therapy outcomes.
- Stigmatisation in relation to psychological health.
- A Public Health approach to mental health
Staff undertaking research in this area
Selected Key Publications and Grant Awards for the Psychological health in context theme
- Delgadillo, J., Asaria, M., Ali, S., & Gilbody, S. (2016). On poverty, politics and psychology: the socioeconomic gradient of mental healthcare utilisation and outcomes. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 209(5), 429-430.
- Finegan, M., Firth, N., Wojnarowski, C., Delgadillo, J. (2018). Associations between socioeconomic status and psychological therapy outcomes: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Depression and Anxiety, 35(6): 560-573.
- Millings, A. & Carnelley, K. (2015) Core Belief Content Examined in a Large Sample of Patients using Online Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. Journal of Affective Disorders. doi:10.1016/j.jad.2015.06.044
- Shearman, N., Millings, A., Carroll, D., & Rowe, A. (in press) A preliminary exploration of the links between attachment disorganisation and schizotypy dimensions in adulthood. Schizophrenia Research. DOI: 10.1016/j.schres.2019.01.004
- Treweek, C., Wood, C., Martin, J., & Freeth, M. (in press). Autistic people’s perspectives on stereotypes: An interpretative phenomenological analysis. Autism. doi:10.1177/1362361318778286
- Leyland, A., Rowse, G., & Emerson, L. M. (2018). Experimental effects of mindfulness inductions on self-regulation: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Emotion.
- McIntyre JC, Wickham S, Barr B & Bentall RP (2017) Social Identity and Psychosis: Associations and Psychological Mechanisms. Schizophrenia Bulletin.
- Freeman, D., Sheaves, B., Goodwin, G. M., Yu, L. M., Nickless, A., Harrison, P. J., ... & Hinds, C. (2017). The effects of improving sleep on mental health (OASIS): a randomised controlled trial with mediation analysis. The Lancet Psychiatry, 4(10), 749-758.
- Emerson, L. M., Leyland, A., Hudson, K., Rowse, G., Hanley, P., & Hugh-Jones, S. (2017). Teaching mindfulness to teachers: a systematic review and narrative synthesis. Mindfulness, 8(5), 1136-1149.
- Offenbaecher, M., Dezutter, J., Kohls, N., Sigl, C., Vallejo, M. A., Rivera, J., Bauerdorf, F., Schelling, J., Vincent, A., Hirsch, J., Sirois, F. M., & Toussaint, L. L. (2017). Struggling with adversities of life: The role of forgiveness in patients suffering from fibromyalgia. Clinical Journal of Pain, 33, 528–534.
- Piotrowska, P. J., Stride, C. B., Croft, S. E., & Rowe, R. (2015). Socioeconomic status and antisocial behaviour among children and adolescents: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical Psychology Review, 35, 47-55.
- Piotrowska, P. J., Stride, C. B., Maughan, B., Goodman, R., McCaw, L., & Rowe, R. (2015). Income gradients within child and adolescent antisocial behaviours. British Journal of Psychiatry, 207(5), 385-391.
- Rabon, J.K., Hirsch, J.K., Kaniuka, A., Sirois, F.M., Brooks, B.D., & Neff, K. (in press). Self-compassion and suicide risk in veterans: When the going gets tough, do the tough benefit more from self-kindness? Mindfulness.
See Clinical Psychology Key Publications & Grant Awards for a wider selection of key publications/grants for the whole unit. A full list of publications and grants for each member of staff can be accessed via individual web pages.
Current DClin Psy Trainee Projects
This area is being updated.
The University’s four flagship institutes bring together our key strengths to tackle global issues, turning interdisciplinary and translational research into real-world solutions.