Course code ORT6022
Start date: 7 March 2022
End date: 14 August 2022
Closing date for applications: 18 February 2022
Mode of attendance
A virtual introductory day will be held online at the start of the module. Further details will be made available upon application.
Online clinical examination
25 - 26 June 2021 12.00pm inclusive
1. To provide information, training and experience of a multidisciplinary and holistic approach to low vision service provision.
2. To enable Orthoptists to become competent low vision practitioners.
Overview of content
1. The effect of ageing on the visual system
2. UK Vision Strategy, policy context and national groups
3. Visual impairment and the rehabilitation process
4. Coping with sight loss
5. Lighting and contrast
6. Functional visual assessment
7. Central and peripheral field loss
8. Low vision aids
9. Very severe visual loss
10. Children with visual loss
Who can study this module
This module is available to anybody with a relevant qualification in the eye care profession. Currently we have Low Vision nurses, Optometrists and Ophthalmologists studying with us.
If you study any two standalone modules from the Division of Ophthalmology and Orthoptics, these would be combined to enable the award of a Postgraduate Certificate (60 credits). Any four standalone modules would enable the award of a Postgraduate Diploma (120 credits) as long as the credits are gained within a five year time span.
You will receive a certificate of completion once you have successfully completed the module.
This module has been awarded the course Level 2 accreditation by the British and Irish Orthoptic Society.
How to apply for the module
Please visit our how to apply page.
For this module you will need to undertake clinical work at your home clinic. You will need to complete and return a 'Manager's Consent' form. Please send the completed and signed form by email to Sheena Coales at the same time that you submit your application. Alternatively you can post it to us (see contact details).
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.