There are five library sites at the University of Sheffield, each site has a range of study spaces, so you can choose the space that’s best for you. All library sites have networked PC’s, WiFi, printers and photocopiers.
Check out our 360° Virtual tours.
Tours and inductions
You can arrange an induction and tour of any of the Library sites, in which staff can advise you on the best ways to access resources, and also practical matters such as emergency evacuation procedures. A one to one advice session with a subject librarian can also be arranged. If you would like to take advantage of any of these options, please contact the Inclusive Learning team.
Quiet / distraction free spaces
There are silent study spaces available in all four University library sites, many of them with distraction-reducing furniture.
- Information Commons - Levels 2 and 5. Silent study space with PCs are available on Levels 3 and 6.
- The Diamond - most of Level 4 and one enclosed silent study space on Level 3.
- Western Bank Library - The Reading Room on Levels 5 and 6, and quiet study areas on Levels 2 and 3.
- Royal Hallamshire Hospital library - one silent study room, the rest of the library is quiet study.
Our 360° Virtual Tours allow you to have a look at some of the library spaces and facilities, including those listed above.
Please note additional silent study spaces are made available during exam periods. There is a learning spaces page where you can find learning spaces throughout the university, this will be useful in busy times to find a free PC.
Other building facilities
- Diamond - all floors. No radar key required.
- Information Commons - all floors. Most require a radar key (available from Level 0 Concierge desk). There are standard lock toilets on Levels 1, 2 and 3.
- Western Bank Library - ground floor. Requires a radar key (available at the Level 5 Information Desk).
- Royal Hallamshire Hospital library - closest is on the floor below the Library (B Floor Medical School). No radar key required.
Gender neutral toilets
- Diamond - in the disabled toilet on the Ground Floor.
- Royal Hallamshire hospital library - in the disabled toilet on the floor below the Library (B Floor Medical School).
- Information Commons - in the disabled toilet on Level 0 (requires a radar key which is available from Level 0 Concierge Desk)
- Diamond - Male and Female Wudu facilities in basement and on Level 1.
- Information Commons - Male and Female Wudu facilities in Level 4 Prayer Rooms.
- Diamond - Male and Female Prayer Rooms 1.03 and 1.04 on the First Floor.
- Information Commons - Male and Female Prayer and Meditiation Rooms 4.48 and 4.49 on Level 4.