We have a range of membership options, including the ability to join the Library with access to borrowing.
Western Bank Library - Limited Access
Access to Western Bank Library is currently limited due to works being undertaken on site. For more information on access visit our Library news page. For the most up to date information from Estates and Facilities Management (EFM), visit the dedicated project page.
Online applications are now accepted for all options except schools and colleges.
The Library is not accessible to external reader members during assessment periods.
For other categories, the access to Library sites will be limited during revision periods.
Alumni are eligible for free membership of the Library.
We are a member of SCONUL Access, which provides staff and students at participating higher education libraries in the UK and Ireland with access to our facilities and borrowing.
Members of the public are welcome to visit the Library for reference use of printed items, to use the reading spaces, and in some cases, as a borrower. Find out about the membership options available and how to apply.
We welcome employees of Sheffield Teaching Hospitals (STH) from the following hospitals to register as external borrowers:
- Northern General Hospital
- Royal Hallamshire Hospital
- Jessop Wing
- Weston Park Hospital
- Charles Clifford Dental
We welcome local schools and colleges to visit the Library, for tours and for librarian-led workshops, where your students can develop skills and learn more about our Special Collections.
The Library is not accepting membership applications from school and colleges at this time.
Postgraduate Research students from the Universities of York and Leeds can become affiliated PGR members of our Library.
- Membership is available if you are 19, or over, and you have a genuine need – which is unavailable from your local library - to use our resources for learning or research
- Visitors to Western Bank Library are required to apply for an External Borrower Ucard (fees may be charged) or an External Reader Ucard. Visitors to Health Sciences Library (Royal Hallamshire Hospital) may obtain a day pass
- You’ll be sharing our spaces with University staff and students and you’ll notice that at certain times of the year Library sites get very busy. Please be considerate of other Library users and don’t forget the staff you see at our information points are there to help
- At certain times of the year visitor access will be restricted to prioritise use for University students, so please always check in advance of any visit.
Ask a question
Phone: +44 114 222 7200
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.