Due to COVID-19, access for visitors to the Library is currently unavailable.
How to apply
We offer fee-paying and non-fee paying membership options dependent upon your circumstances.
Members of the public are welcome to visit the Library for reference use of printed items, to use reading spaces, and in some cases, as a borrower.
As an external borrower, you can:
- Access Western Bank Library and The Health Sciences Library sites (Royal Hallamshire Hospital and Northern General Hospital) during staffed and self-service hours
- Consult the Library’s print collections - thousands of books, journals and other resources
- Borrow up to 5 items at a time. Items will automatically renew unless someone else requests them
- Discover materials using StarPlus
- Request books and manage your Library Account through StarPlus
- Explore our unique and original library collections
- Guest WiFi (please ask at the Information Desk for details)/Eduroam access for SCONUL members (if your home institution uses it)
- Self-service photocopiers/scanners
- Onsite access to some e-journals - complete a registration form to use the dedicated Walk-in access PCs in Western Bank Library and the Health Sciences Library sites to view electronic journals where the publisher permits access, in addition to many open access journals
Ask a question
Phone: +44 114 222 7200
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.