How to apply
We offer fee-paying and non-fee paying membership options dependent upon your circumstances.
Western Bank Library - Limited Access
Access to Western Bank Library is currently limited due to works being undertaken on site. For more information on access visit our Library news page. For the most up to date information from Estates and Facilities Management (EFM), visit the dedicated project page.
The following is a list of those entitled to non-fee paying external borrower membership of the library:
- Member of the University Court or Council
- Teacher or FE lecturer employed in South Yorkshire
- Member of the Society of Glass Technology
- Clergy in the Sheffield area
- GP in the Sheffield area
- The University of Sheffield retired staff
- Community researchers (A project that aims to build a UK network of non-university researchers by improving and extending their access to academic library resources. Members are given a reference/verification number via the project when applying as proof of affiliation )
- Confucius Institute (specific programmes only - CALI programme/Engineering Summer School/Applied Linguistic and Language Policy)
Applicants should fill in an external borrower form on the web pages, attach a photograph and any evidence in support of their application if necessary.
Members of the public are welcome to visit the Library for reference use of printed items, to use reading spaces, and in some cases, as a borrower.
As an external borrower, you can:
- Access Western Bank Library and The Health Sciences Library sites at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital during staffed hours
- Consult the Library’s print collections - thousands of books, journals and other resources
- Borrow up to 5 items at a time. Items will automatically renew unless someone else requests them
- Discover materials using StarPlus
- Request books and manage your Library Account through StarPlus
- Explore our unique and original library collections
- Guest WiFi (please ask at the Information Desk for details)/Eduroam access for SCONUL members (if your home institution uses it)
- Self-service photocopiers/scanners
- Onsite access to some e-journals - complete a registration form to use the dedicated Walk-in access PCs in Western Bank Library and the Health Sciences Library sites to view electronic journals where the publisher permits access, in addition to many open access journals
Ask a question
Phone: +44 114 222 7200
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.