ResearchGate has a non-US focus and is good for finding contacts outside the US. We’ve provided a quick guide below to getting started.
There are over 14,000 profiles linked with the University of Sheffield on this site. When you have created an account take a look at the University’s institutional profile to see an overview of its use of ResearchGate.
- Go to www.researchgate.net and answer ‘what type of researcher are you?’ by selecting ‘academic or student’.
- Put ‘University of Sheffield’ in the institution box and add the name of your department. Click ‘continue’.
- Complete the boxes asking for your name, university email address and password and click ‘continue’.
- Once you’ve created your basic profile click in the search box in the top right-hand corner to look for other researchers, research topics and questions and answers.
- Through your profile page, you can upload your papers and view statistics about who’s reading and citing your work. Ensure you only upload your final version of your paper and not the publisher’s (see the guidelines for using ResearchGate for more information).
- From the ‘settings’ part of your profile have a look at ‘notifications’ and choose when you want to receive emails from ResearchGate (otherwise you may get a lot).
Ask a question
Phone: +44 114 222 7200