We welcome applications for membership of the library.
If you are Alumni, please visit our Alumni web page.
|Type of memberships||
You may become an External Borrower without charge if you fall within one of these categories:
*Proof of study will be required. Please see Alumni for more information.
Fee-Paying External Borrowers
|How to apply||
Applications for External Borrower library membership are done online and you will be required to upload a recent passport style photograph. Apply here.
Fee-Paying External Borrowers
If you are over 19 years old and do not fall into any of the free external borrowing categories and still wish to borrow, you may apply to become a Fee-Paying External Borrower by paying a subscription; this costs £50 for the year or £15 for three months (incl. VAT)
Applications may take up to three weeks to process and you will be notified when your card is ready for collection.
You can select the Library site from which to collect your card; please bring proof of identification, proof of your current address. Alumni will also need to bring proof of study or the Alumni card issued by the Alumni Office unless this has already been verified.
If you wish to renew your card or you require a replacement because your card has been lost or damaged, please use the link above.
Access to Library Sites:
Western Bank Library (during library opening hours)
Health Sciences Libraries (during library opening hours)
The Diamond - Ground Floor (during staffed hours)
Borrowing from the Library
- You can borrow up to five books, for a period of one week
- You can check your account on StarPlus, and place requests on items (although there is no access to the Information Commons you can still request books from this site; just choose another pick-up location)
- As long as no-one has requested your items we will keep renewing them automatically until the expiry date of your account
- We will send you a weekly borrowing statement email to remind you which books you have out on loan and highlight any that have been requested and cannot be renewed
- We no longer fine on overdue items but, if a requested item is not brought back on time then your borrower account will be blocked until the item is returned
Special Collections and Archives
- Items from the Special Collections and Archives (reference use only) may be made available, subject to the approval of the Head of Special Collections, Jacky Hodgson, (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Enquiries relating to the National Fairground and Circus Archive should be addressed to email@example.com or phone 0114 2227231
Access to Wi-Fi
Access to e-journals
External Borrowers can access a large number of electronic journals from the University’s portfolio using our “Walk in Access” scheme. Access is provided via dedicated computers based in Western Bank Library and the Health Sciences Library at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital and the Northern General Hospital.
To register as an authorised walk-in user you must sign and agree to the code of practice (forms are available at all three sites). You are also required to provide proof of name and address and membership of the Library. Please note, access is limited to one hour per user during busy periods.
Other library benefits for External Borrowers
- Use of all the Library print collections
- Use of microform reader/printers, DVD and video players (where available)
- Use of Self-service photocopiers
- Use of the InterLibrary Request Service to place an inter-library loan request or to obtain a photocopy of a document; payment at the time of request is required by debit/credit card or library card
If you have any enquiries, please contact the Library HelpDesk (0114) 222 7200, or visit Western Bank Library or the Health Sciences Library (Royal Hallamshire Hospital) during staffed service hours.