Supplying to other libraries
The University of Sheffield Library is happy to lend books and supply copies to other libraries within the UK and abroad in response to requests made through inter-library loan (ILL) or document delivery.
How to make a request
Please send your request to us via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to:
Inter Library Lending Services
Western Bank Library
University of Sheffield
Requests from UK and Republic of Ireland libraries should include:
- clear details of the item you want to borrow or have copied
- a request number and your British Library Billing Account number
- a clear delivery address
Charges for UK and Republic of Ireland Requests are made at the current British Library rate.
International requests should be paid for using IFLA vouchers.
Materials that we lend
We will lend any standard loan books with the following exceptions;
- Material held in the Information Commons, The Diamond or Children’s Hospital Library
- Reference material including; Record Societies, statistics, dictionaries, bibliographies
- Periodicals, audio-visual materials, microfiche/film items, music scores and other loose leaf material
- Pre 1900 material is not available for loan and requests for material over 100 years old or in a fragile condition will be considered on an item by item basis
- Special Collection items including Rare Books
- National Fairground Archive (NFA) material – the NFA may be able to supply a copy of a chapter or article for an extra charge. Please contact email@example.com for more information
- Theses are increasingly being made available to download via the British Library's EThOS service and it may be worth checking this service before applying to Sheffield. We do lend any thesis or dissertation not available via Ethos (to UK only) and these are for Library Use Only
We will provide photocopies within copyright guidelines (1 chapter or 5% of an item) and do so on the understanding that requests will only be made for non-commercial research or private study. We reserve the right to refuse to supply if we believe that commercial use will take place. We supply paper copies only of mainly hard copy journal articles though we may sometimes be able to supply copies of articles from e-journals depending on publishers licences. We are not able to make copies of e-book chapters.
Journal articles, book chapters and conference papers written by Sheffield University Researchers may be freely available via our institutional repository White Rose Research Online
Conditions of loan
- Loans are for 6 weeks.
- Up to 2 renewals (of 6 weeks each) may be made on application to the library
- All material is recallable and must be returned immediately if it is required by one of our own members
- Some items may be loaned on a confined basis: they can only be used within your library and should be locked away in a secure place when not in use
- We may ask for rare or valuable material to be returned using registered post (or it's equivalent) as this provides better security
Overdue or Lost items
- The borrowing library is responsible for any loss or damage to materials loaned to them
- Fines are not charged to other libraries for items returned late, although prompt return is appreciated
- Automated courtesy and overdue notices are sent out for loans
- If an item is lost please let us know and we will charge the cost to replace the item and a handling fee
- We reserve the right to refuse loans to libraries where there is a significant problem with non-return of items