Scope: Political and social caricatures of the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries
Extent: 55 volumes
Administrative / biographical history:
The caricatures collection consists of 55 volumes of social and political caricatures of the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries.
Many very significant caricaturists are represented in the collection, including William Hogarth, Thomas Rowlandson, James Gillray and George Cruikshank. Both coloured and monochrome images are included, and provide a rich source of illustration of the political and social interests of the period.
- Source: By donation and purchase
- System of arrangement: By volume
- Subjects: Caricatures and cartoons - England
- Names: Cruikshank, George, 1792-1878; Gillray, James, 1756-1815; Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827; Hogarth, William, 1697-1764
- Conditions of access: Available to all researchers, by appointment
- Restrictions: None
- Finding aids: Outline listing available
Advantages of wearing Muslin Dresses! -- dedicated to the serious attention of the Fashionable Ladies of Great Britain. Engraved by James Gillray (1756-1815). Published February 15th, 1802 by Hannah Humphrey, 27 St James's Street, London.