What if s/he's ill or has problems?

We ask students to put an emergency contact on their University record.  We would normally use this only in the unlikely case of medical personnel advising that this is required.  Normally, medical staff would be the ones to make contact if they consider it necessary.

We pass contact details to a hospital in an emergency.

Hospitals have similar guidelines and do not notify the University of hospitalised students unless the students ask them to.  It is up to students themselves to inform the University that they are in hospital; many choose not to.  If we do have contact with a student in hospital, we suggest that they let people at home know, but cannot do this for them without permission.

University Health Service