The University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0814
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I am a Research Associate in health economic modelling. I joined HEDS in May 2011. Prior to that I completed my MSc in Health Economics from the University of York in 2010 and my BA(Hons) in International Development from the University of East Anglia in 2009.
My main area of research interest is the cost-effectiveness of screening programmes particularly newborn screening. Projects that I have worked on in this area include:
• The cost-effectiveness of including SCID in the NHS newborn screening programme for the National Screening Committee
• The cost-effectiveness of including X-ALD in the NHS newborn screening programme for Alex The Leukodystrophy Charity
• The cost-effectiveness of expanding the NHS newborn screening programme to include 5 new conditions (GA1, MSUD, HCU, IVA, LCHADD)
I have worked on a number of projects in the area of cervical cancer screening including modelling the impact on workload of the introduction of HPV triage and more recently primary HPV testing for Public Health England.
I have also been involved in a number of NICE appraisals (both health technologies appraisals and diagnostics appraisals) and HTAs.
- Bessey A, Chilcott J, Leaviss J, de la Cruz C & Wong R (2019) A cost-effectiveness analysis of newborn screening for severe combined immunodeficiency in the UK. International Journal of Neonatal Screening, 5(3). View this article in WRRO
- Harnan S, Tappenden P, Cooper K, Stevens J, Bessey A, Rafia R, Ward S, Wong R, Stein RC & Brown J (2019) Tumour profiling tests to guide adjuvant chemotherapy decisions in early breast cancer: a systematic review and economic analysis. Health Technology Assessment, 23(30). View this article in WRRO
- Bessey A, Chilcott JB, Leaviss J & Sutton A (2018) Economic impact of screening for X-linked Adrenoleukodystrophy within a newborn blood spot screening programme.. Orphanet J Rare Dis, 13(1), 179-179. View this article in WRRO
- Morrell CJ, Sutcliffe P, Booth A, Stevens J, Scope A, Stevenson M, Harvey R, Bessey A, Cantrell A, Dennis C-L , Ren S et al (2016) A systematic review, evidence synthesis and meta-analysis of quantitative and qualitative studies evaluating the clinical effectiveness, the cost-effectiveness, safety and acceptability of interventions to prevent postnatal depression. Health Technology Assessment, 20(37), 1-414. View this article in WRRO
- Essat M, Tappenden P, Ren S, Bessey A, Archer R, Wong R, Lobo A & Hoque S (2016) Vedolizumab for the Treatment of Adults with Moderate-to-Severe Active Ulcerative Colitis: An Evidence Review Group Perspective of a NICE Single Technology Appraisal. PharmacoEconomics, 34(3), 245-257. View this article in WRRO
- Rathbone J, Kaltenthaler E, Richards A, Tappenden P, Bessey A & Cantrell A (2013) A systematic review of eculizumab for atypical haemolytic uraemic syndrome (aHUS).. BMJ Open, 3(11), e003573. View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- Bessey A, Leaviss J, de la Cruz GC, Chilcott J & Wong R (2017) THE COST-EFFECTIVENESS OF SCREENING FOR SEVERE COMBINED IMMUNODEFICIENCY (SCID) IN THE UK NHS NEWBORN BLOODSPOT SCREENING PROGRAMME. VALUE IN HEALTH, Vol. 20(9) (pp A501-A501)
- Bessey A, Chilcott J, Pandor A & Paisley S (2014) The Cost-Effectiveness of Expanding the Nhs Newborn Bloodspot Screening Programme To Include Homocystinuria (Hcu), Maple Syrup Urine Disease (Msud), Glutaric Aciduria Type 1 (Ga1), Isovaleric Acidaemia (Iva), and Long-Chain Hydroxyacyl-Coa Dehydrogenase Deficiency (Lchadd). Value in Health, Vol. 17(7) (pp A531-A531)
- Bessey A, Whyte S, Minton J & Chilcott J (2013) ECONOMIC EVALUATION OF AN ELECTRICAL IMPEDANCE SPECTROSCOPY (EIS) DEVICE USED AS AN ADJUNCT TO COLPOSCOPY. VALUE IN HEALTH, Vol. 16(7) (pp A407-A407)