Michael Gillett BSc (Sheffield), CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants)
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0688
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I joined the Health Economics and Decision Science at the School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR) from a financial background. Having spent 9 years within the NHS at purchaser and provider level, I worked in an analytical and modelling capacity within industry for two years before joining SCHARR.
My academic achievements include a BSc in Mathematics from the University of Sheffield.
I am currently the economic lead for a study comparing ultrasound with biopsy for diagnosing Giant Cell Arteritis (TABUL study) and for a screening study aimed at identifying individuals with learning disabilities at high risk of cardiovascular disease and reducing sedentary behaviour.
I have a particular interest in modelling the effect of policies and treatments for the long-term management of Type 2 diabetes and its complications. Specific projects completed include the Cost Effectiveness of Screening for Type 2 Diabetes using an HbA1c versus a Fasting Plasma Glucose test (NCCHTA), the Cost Effectiveness of Lifestyle Interventions for the prevention of Type 2 diabetes (NCCHTA), and economic assessment of a DPP-IV inhibitor, the economic impact of hypoglycaemia, and the cost effectiveness of the DESMOND intervention. Within the last 2 years, I have completed 2 economic assessments for NICE Public Health guidance on Prevention of type 2 diabetes.
Other experience includes economic evaluation of drugs to treat acute coronary syndromes, and development of a model for Barnsley PCT aimed at predicting the benefit of public health measures to reduce hospital admissions resulting from cardiovascular and renal disease.
- Effectiveness and Cost-effectiveness of interventions to prevent and manage type 2 diabetes
- Economic modelling of cardiovascular diseases
- Data analytics methods to identify or stratify individuals at high risk of having a condition or developing the condition in the future
I am in involved in supervision and marking of dissertations for the MSc in Health Economic and Decision Modelling.
I have been a reviewer for several journals articles and grant applications. I was also one of 50 delegates invited to a Diabetes-UK "Frontiers In Diabetes" conference on Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes in 2008 and was invited to contribute towards a background paper on the prevention of Type 2 diabetes for the 2010 Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh Consensus conference on diabetes.
I am a co-applicant on several grant applications in the field of type 2 diabetes including research around education, screening and prevention.
- Luqmani R, Lee E, Singh S, Gillett M, Schmidt WA, Bradburn M, Dasgupta B, Diamantopoulos AP, Forrester-Barker W, Hamilton W , Masters S et al (2016) The Role of Ultrasound Compared to Biopsy of Temporal Arteries in the Diagnosis and Treatment of Giant Cell Arteritis (TABUL): a diagnostic accuracy and cost-effectiveness study. Health Technology Assessment, 20(90). View this article in WRRO
- Thokala P, Kruger J, Brennan A, Basarir H, Duenas A, Pandor A, Gillett M, Elliott J & Heller S (2014) Assessing the cost-effectiveness of type 1 diabetes interventions: the Sheffield type 1 diabetes policy model.. Diabet Med, 31(4), 477-486.
- Johnson M, Jones R, Freeman C, Woods HB, Gillett M, Goyder E & Payne N (2013) Can diabetes prevention programmes be translated effectively into real-world settings and still deliver improved outcomes? A synthesis of evidence.. Diabet Med, 30(1), 3-15. View this article in WRRO
- Gillett M, Royle P, Snaith A, Scotland G, Poobalan A, Imamura M, Black C, Boroujerdi M, Jick S, Wyness L , McNamee P et al (2012) Non-pharmacological interventions to reduce the risk of diabetes in people with impaired glucose regulation: a systematic review and economic evaluation.. Health Technol Assess, 16(33), 1-iv.
- Goyder E, Simmons R & Gillett M (2010) Who can prevent diabetes? Current issues in the prevention of type 2 diabetes. J R Coll Physicians Edinb, 40(Suppl 17), 5-11.
- Gillett M, Dallosso HM, Dixon S, Brennan A, Carey ME, Campbell MJ, Heller S, Khunti K, Skinner TC & Davies MJ (2010) Delivering the diabetes education and self management for ongoing and newly diagnosed (DESMOND) programme for people with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes: cost effectiveness analysis.. BMJ, 341, c4093.
- Palmer AJ, Roze S, Valentine WJ, McEwan P, Gillett M, Holmes M, Clarke P, Stevens R, Gray AM, Coleman R , Sorensen S et al (2007) Computer modeling of diabetes and its complications - A report on the Fourth Mount Hood Challenge Meeting. DIABETES CARE, 30(6), 1638-1646.
- Waugh N, Scotland G, McNamee P, Gillett M, Brennan A, Goyder E, Williams R & John A (2007) Screening for type 2 diabetes: literature review and economic modelling. HEALTH TECHNOL ASSES, 11(17), 1-+.
- Whitfield MD, Gillett M, Holmes M & Ogden E (2006) Predicting the impact of population level risk reduction in cardio-vascular disease and stroke on acute hospital admission rates over a 5 year period--a pilot study.. Public Health, 120(12), 1140-1148.
- Gillett M, Brennan A, Watson P, Khunti K, Davies M, Mostafa S & Gray LJ () The cost-effectiveness of testing strategies for type 2 diabetes: a modelling study. Health Technology Assessment, 19(33), 1-80.