Michael Gillett BSc (Sheffield), CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants)
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0688
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I joined the Health Economics and Decision Science at the School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR) from a financial background. Having spent 9 years within the NHS at purchaser and provider level, I worked in an analytical and modelling capacity within industry for two years before joining SCHARR.
My academic achievements include a BSc in Mathematics from the University of Sheffield.
I am currently the economic lead for a study comparing ultrasound with biopsy for diagnosing Giant Cell Arteritis (TABUL study) and for a screening study aimed at identifying individuals with learning disabilities at high risk of cardiovascular disease and reducing sedentary behaviour.
I have a particular interest in modelling the effect of policies and treatments for the long-term management of Type 2 diabetes and its complications. Specific projects completed include the Cost Effectiveness of Screening for Type 2 Diabetes using an HbA1c versus a Fasting Plasma Glucose test (NCCHTA), the Cost Effectiveness of Lifestyle Interventions for the prevention of Type 2 diabetes (NCCHTA), and economic assessment of a DPP-IV inhibitor, the economic impact of hypoglycaemia, and the cost effectiveness of the DESMOND intervention. Within the last 2 years, I have completed 2 economic assessments for NICE Public Health guidance on Prevention of type 2 diabetes.
Other experience includes economic evaluation of drugs to treat acute coronary syndromes, and development of a model for Barnsley PCT aimed at predicting the benefit of public health measures to reduce hospital admissions resulting from cardiovascular and renal disease.
- Effectiveness and Cost-effectiveness of interventions to prevent and manage type 2 diabetes
- Economic modelling of cardiovascular diseases
- Data analytics methods to identify or stratify individuals at high risk of having a condition or developing the condition in the future
I am in involved in supervision and marking of dissertations for the MSc in Health Economic and Decision Modelling.
I have been a reviewer for several journals articles and grant applications. I was also one of 50 delegates invited to a Diabetes-UK "Frontiers In Diabetes" conference on Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes in 2008 and was invited to contribute towards a background paper on the prevention of Type 2 diabetes for the 2010 Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh Consensus conference on diabetes.
I am a co-applicant on several grant applications in the field of type 2 diabetes including research around education, screening and prevention.
- Luqmani R, Lee E, Singh S, Gillett M, Schmidt WA, Bradburn M, Dasgupta B, Diamantopoulos AP, Forrester-Barker W, Hamilton W, Masters S, McDonald B, McNally E, Pease C, Piper J, Salmon J, Wailoo A, Wolfe K & Hutchings A (2016) The Role of Ultrasound Compared to Biopsy of Temporal Arteries in the Diagnosis and Treatment of Giant Cell Arteritis (TABUL): a diagnostic accuracy and cost-effectiveness study. Health Technology Assessment, 20(90). View this article in WRRO
- Luqmani R, Lee E, Singh S, Gillett M, Schmidt WA, Bradburn M, Dasgupta B, Diamantopoulos AP, Forrester-Barker W, Hamilton W, Masters S, McDonald B, McNally E, Pease CT, Piper J, Salmon J, Wailoo A, Wolfe K, Hutchings A & Grp TABULS (2015) The Role of Ultrasound Compared to Biopsy of Temporal Arteries in the Diagnosis and Treatment of Giant Cell Arteritis: A Diagnostic Accuracy and Cost-Effectiveness Study. ARTHRITIS & RHEUMATOLOGY, 67.
- Gillett M, Brennan A, Watson P, Khunti K, Davies M, Mostafa S & Gray LJ (2015) The cost-effectiveness of testing strategies for type 2 diabetes: a modelling study. Health Technology Assessment, 19(33), 1-80.
- Thokala P, Kruger J, Brennan A, Basarir H, Duenas A, Pandor A, Gillett M, Elliott J & Heller S (2014) Assessing the cost-effectiveness of type 1 diabetes interventions: the Sheffield type 1 diabetes policy model.. Diabet Med, 31(4), 477-486.
- Johnson M, Jones R, Freeman C, Woods HB, Gillett M, Goyder E & Payne N (2013) Can diabetes prevention programmes be translated effectively into real-world settings and still deliver improved outcomes? A synthesis of evidence.. Diabet Med, 30(1), 3-15. View this article in WRRO
- Gillett M, Royle P, Snaith A, Scotland G, Poobalan A, Imamura M, Black C, Boroujerdi M, Jick S, Wyness L, McNamee P, Brennan A & Waugh N (2012) Non-pharmacological interventions to reduce the risk of diabetes in people with impaired glucose regulation: a systematic review and economic evaluation.. Health Technol Assess, 16(33), 1-iv.
- Goyder E, Simmons R & Gillett M (2010) Who can prevent diabetes? Current issues in the prevention of type 2 diabetes. J R Coll Physicians Edinb, 40(Suppl 17), 5-11.
- Gillett M, Dallosso HM, Dixon S, Brennan A, Carey ME, Campbell MJ, Heller S, Khunti K, Skinner TC & Davies MJ (2010) Delivering the diabetes education and self management for ongoing and newly diagnosed (DESMOND) programme for people with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes: cost effectiveness analysis.. BMJ, 341, c4093.
- Palmer AJ, Roze S, Valentine WJ, McEwan P, Gillett M, Holmes M, Clarke P, Stevens R, Gray AM, Coleman R, Sorensen S, Muller E, Walzer S, Eddy DM, Kahn R, Bagust A, Brown J, Brennan A, Chan W, Russell A, Hoerger T, Hicks K, Casciano R, Bergemann R & Mt Hood 4 Modelling Grp (2007) Computer modeling of diabetes and its complications - A report on the Fourth Mount Hood Challenge Meeting. DIABETES CARE, 30(6), 1638-1646.
- Waugh N, Scotland G, McNamee P, Gillett M, Brennan A, Goyder E, Williams R & John A (2007) Screening for type 2 diabetes: literature review and economic modelling. HEALTH TECHNOL ASSES, 11(17), 1-+.
- Whitfield MD, Gillett M, Holmes M & Ogden E (2006) Predicting the impact of population level risk reduction in cardio-vascular disease and stroke on acute hospital admission rates over a 5 year period--a pilot study.. Public Health, 120(12), 1140-1148.