Dr Praveen Thokala MASc, PhD
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0784
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I joined HEDS in March 2010 after completing a MASc from the University of Toronto and a PhD from the University of Southampton. During my time at ScHARR I have worked on several health economic modelling projects, including health technology assessment (HTA) of diagnostic strategies for suspected acute coronary syndrome (ACS) and telemonitoring for heart failure. I was also involved in developing the Sheffield Type-1 Diabetes Policy model.
I have also worked with the NICE Decision Support Unit (DSU) in assessing the applicability of multi criteria decision analysis (MCDA) in health technology assessment (HTA) and I was involved in the DSU assessment of the economic model submitted by the manufacturer of donepezil for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.
My research interests are:
- Healthcare modelling
- Health economics
- Multi-criteria decision analysis
I co-supervise four PhD students and I am co-module leader for the HAR671 - OR Techniques in Health Resource Allocation on the MSc in Health Economic and Decision Modelling.
- Deputy Director of Consultancy, HEDS
- Member of SMDM, ISPOR and Operational Research Society
- Reviewer for the Value in Health Journal
I am currently working on the following projects
- Cost-effectiveness modelling of cardiac magnetic resonance (CMR) compared with current existing testing pathways in ischaemic cardiomyopathy (NIHR HTA)
- Cost-effectiveness of pre-hospital non invasive ventilation (NIV) for acute respiratory failure (NIHR HTA)
- Overcoming barriers to Mainstreaming Assisted Living Technologies (MALT), Technology Strategy Board Assisted Living Innovation Platform (with ESRC and NIHR)
- Priority setting approaches for supporting public health commissioners using MCDA techniques
- Thokala P, Ochalek J, Leech AA & Tong T (2018) Cost-Effectiveness Thresholds: the Past, the Present and the Future. PharmacoEconomics. View this article in WRRO
- Salleh S, Thokala P, Brennan A, Hughes R & Dixon S (2017) Discrete Event Simulation-Based Resource Modelling in Health Technology Assessment. PharmacoEconomics, 35(10), 989-1006. View this article in WRRO
- Crown W, Buyukkaramikli N, Thokala P, Morton A, Sir MY, Marshall DA, Tosh J, Padula WV, Ijzerman MJ, Wong PK & Pasupathy KS (2017) Constrained Optimization Methods in Health Services Research-An Introduction: Report 1 of the ISPOR Optimization Methods Emerging Good Practices Task Force.. Value in Health, 20(3), 310-319. View this article in WRRO
- Thokala P, Simpson E, Tappenden P, Stevens J, Dickinson K, Ryder S & Harrison P (2016) Ledipasvir-Sofosbuvir for Treating Chronic Hepatitis C: A NICE Single Technology Appraisal—An Evidence Review Group Perspective. PharmacoEconomics, 34(8), 741-750. View this article in WRRO
- Thokala P, Devlin N, Marsh K, Baltussen R, Boysen M, Kalo Z, Longrenn T, Mussen F, Peacock S, Watkins J & Ijzerman M (2016) Multiple criteria decision analysis for health care decision making - An introduction: Report 1 of the ISPOR MCDA Emerging Good Practices Task Force. Value in Health, 19(1), 1-13.
- Thokala P, Dixon S & Jahn B (2015) Resource Modelling: The Missing Piece of the HTA Jigsaw?. PharmacoEconomics, 33(3), 193-203. View this article in WRRO
- Thokala P, Goodacre S, Ward M, Penn-Ashman J & Perkins GD (2015) Cost-effectiveness of Out-of-Hospital Continuous Positive Airway Pressure for Acute Respiratory Failure. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 65(5), 556-563.e6. View this article in WRRO
- Thokala P, Kruger J, Brennan A, Basarir H, Duenas A, Pandor A, Gillett M, Elliott J & Heller S (2014) Assessing the cost-effectiveness of type 1 diabetes interventions: the Sheffield type 1 diabetes policy model.. Diabet Med, 31(4), 477-486.
- Thokala P, Baalbaki H, Brennan A, Pandor A, Stevens JW, Gomersall T, Wang J, Bakhai A, Al-Mohammad A, Cleland J, Cowie MR & Wong R (2013) Telemonitoring after discharge from hospital with heart failure: cost-effectiveness modelling of alternative service designs.. BMJ Open, 3(9), e003250. View this article in WRRO
- Thokala P & Duenas A (2012) Multiple criteria decision analysis for health technology assessment.. Value Health, 15(8), 1172-1181.
- Thokala P, Goodacre SW, Collinson PO, Stevens JW, Mills NL, Newby DE, Morris F, Kendall J & Stevenson MD (2012) Cost-effectiveness of presentation versus delayed troponin testing for acute myocardial infarction. Heart, 98(20), 1498-1503.
- Bond M, Rogers G, Peters J, Anderson R, Hoyle M, Miners A, Moxham T, Davis S, Thokala P, Wailoo A, Jeffreys M & Hyde C (2012) The effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of donepezil, galantamine, rivastigmine and memantine for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease (review of Technology Appraisal No. 111): a systematic review and economic model.. Health Technol Assess, 16(21), 1-470.