We'll help you understand the costs associated with studying at university and plan your budgets accordingly.
Our Student Funding Calculator, Money Planner and Money Timeline will help you plan your finances and could make your money go further.
Top tips for your finances
- Students don't pay council tax.
- Students get discounted travel.
- NUS/student discounts: money off everything from meals to haircuts. Some shops don’t advertise it, so don’t forget to ask.
- Open a student bank account. Some give you a free Railcard, and most will give you an interest-free overdraft (which can be paid back at a later date). Shop around to find the best benefits to suit you.
- Make a budget before you arrive and try to stick to it. This will stop you from having no money for the last few weeks of term.
- You’ll need a TV licence when you’re at university. If you go home in the summer, remember to claim back any months you’ve overpaid.
- Aim to buy any books on your reading list second hand from last year's students.
Here are some figures to help give you an idea of what you could expect to spend on accommodation in Sheffield.
University accommodation charges are based on the standard 42 week contract, although 51 week contracts are available. With the standard contract, you don’t pay for accommodation over the summer break. Generally, with private accommodation, your contract is for the full year.
All figures are approximate and should only be used as a guide.
Prices are averaged and based on 2020 entry.
|Cost per week||Cost per month||Cost per year (42 weeks)|
Rent (all bills included)
|From £102||From £442||From £4,292|
Included in your rent are:
- All your utility and internet bills
- Room contents insurance
- Residence Life events and sports activities
- Customer services and welfare support
- Security and CCTV
|Cost per week||Cost per month||Cost per year (52 weeks)|
Sheffield: an affordable city
Sheffield is one of the UK’s top ten most affordable student cities according to the Royal Bank of Scotland’s Student Living Index 2019.