Alumni Fund scholarships
We're offering 150 Alumni Fund scholarships worth £3,600 each for home students starting their studies in September 2018.
These are entirely funded by donations from alumni and friends of the University from around the world.
The deadline to submit your application has now passed. If you've recently received an offer from us we'll be in touch soon to invite you to apply.
To be able to apply for these scholarships, you must have a household income of £50,000 or less (as assessed by Student Finance). You must also have received an academic offer to study a full-time undergraduate course at the University of Sheffield starting in September 2018.
When assessing your application we will also take into account the following widening participation criteria:
- Do you have a part-time job?
- Have you entered the University through one of our outreach schemes?
- Have you come from a school/college that is performing below the UK’s national average?
- Are you the first person in your immediate family to go to university (other than siblings)?
- Have you been in care as a looked-after child for at least 13 weeks since the age of 14?
- Do you have a disability?
- Are you a carer for an ill or disabled family member?
- Are you from a black, asian and minority ethnic group?
- Are you a female applying for a course in the Department of Economics or Faculty of Engineering?
- Are you a male applying for a course in the in the School of Nursing and Midwifery; Department of Human Communication Sciences; Department of Psychology; Department of Sociological Studies; the School of English, Department of Oncology and Metabolism or the School of Education.
To check your eligibility for the following two postcode criteria, please use the postcode lookup tool. We'll use the home address you used on your UCAS form when you applied for your course.
- Do you come from one of the most deprived areas of the country as defined by the government's Indices of Multiple Deprivation (IMD) database? If your postcode IMD value is 16,250 or less, you meet this criteria. Please note this map covers England only.
- Do you come from an area where it is not usual for people to go to university? This is defined by the government's classification called Polar 3. To meet this criteria your address must fall into quintile 1 or 2. Please note this information only covers the UK.
If your application is successful, you will be required to provide a copy of your Student Finance Entitlement letter from Student Finance, showing that you meet the relevant loan eligibility as detailed above.
How to apply
The deadline to submit your application has now passed.
A selection panel consisting of senior academic and professional services staff will consider your scholarship application. When making their decision, the panel will take into consideration the widening participation criteria you meet and also give regard to the following:
Applicants will be notified with the outcome of their application by the end of April 2018. If successful, you will receive the scholarship in three equal instalments of £1,200 over the first three years of your course.
This award is conditional on you being accepted and becoming fully registered on your specified course at the University of Sheffield during academic year 2018-19 and meeting the financial criteria for the scholarship.
About funding for the scholarships
The money for these scholarships is provided by donations from generous people, organisations and companies that want to support students given the rising costs of education. Many of the donors are alumni (former graduates) of the University of Sheffield.
If you receive an Alumni Fund scholarship you may be invited to relevant events, and to learn more about the work of the Development, Alumni Relations and Events Office during your studies at Sheffield.
If you have any questions or would like to talk to someone about the awards, please contact the Financial Support Team:
Financial Support Team
T: 0114 222 1319