Alumni Fund scholarships
Applications for the Alumni Fund scholarships are closed for 2017. We'll open applications for 2018 soon. We'll provide details here as soon as we have more information.
Alumni Fund scholarships: 2017 applications (now closed)
We're offering 150 Alumni Fund scholarships worth £3,600 each for home students starting their studies in September 2017.
These are entirely funded by donations from alumni and friends of the University from around the world.
To be able to apply for these scholarships, you must be eligible for a maintenance loan from Student Finance of at least £5,256 (household income of below £50,000). You must also have received an academic offer to study a full-time undergraduate course at the University of Sheffield starting in September 2017.
When assessing your application we will also take into account the following widening participation criteria:
- Do you have a part-time job?
- Have you entered the University through one of our outreach schemes?
- Have you come from a school/college that is performing below the UK’s national average?
- Are you the first person in your immediate family to go to university (other than siblings)?
- Have you been in care as a looked-after child for at least 13 weeks since the age of 14?
- Do you have a disability?
- Are you a carer for an ill or disabled family member?
- Do you come from one of the most deprived areas of the country as defined by the government's Indices of Multiple Deprivation (IMD) database? If your postcode IMD value is 16,250 or less, you meet this criteria. You can check your postcode using the IMD search tool. Please note this map only covers England and the postcode we will use is that of your home address in your last year of school or college.
- Do you come from an area where it is not usual for people to go to university? This is defined by the government's classification called Polar 3. To meet this criteria your address must fall into quintile 1 or 2. Check your address area using the Participation of Local Areas (POLAR) search tool. We'll use your home address in your last year of school or college. Please note this information only covers the UK.
- Are you from a black and minority ethnic group?
- Are you a female applying for a course in the Department of Economics or Faculty of Engineering?
- Are you a male applying for a course in the School of Nursing and Midwifery; Department of Human Communication Sciences; Department of Psychology; or the Department of Sociological Studies?
If your application is successful, you will be required to provide a copy of your Student Finance Entitlement letter from Student Finance, showing that you meet the relevant loan eligibility as detailed above.
A selection panel consisting of senior academic and professional services staff will consider your scholarship application. When making their decision, the panel will take into consideration the widening participation criteria you meet and also give regard to the following:
Applicants will be notified with the outcome of their application by the end of April 2017. If successful, you will receive the scholarship in three equal instalments of £1,200 over the first three years of your course.
This award is conditional on you being accepted and becoming fully registered on your specified course at the University of Sheffield during academic year 2017-18 and meeting the financial criteria for the scholarship.
About funding for the scholarships
The money for these scholarships is provided by donations from generous people, organisations and companies that want to support students given the rising costs of education. Many of the donors are alumni (former graduates) of the University of Sheffield.
If you receive an Alumni Fund scholarship you may be invited to relevant events, and to learn more about the work of the Development, Alumni Relations and Events Office during your studies at Sheffield.
If you have any questions or would like to talk to someone about the awards, please contact the Financial Support Team:
Financial Support Team
T: 0114 222 1319