We're looking for talented students with the potential to influence the world around them for the better.
How to enter
If this is you, just answer the following question for your chance to be awarded one of 25 scholarships of a year’s free accommodation at the University of Sheffield:
How would you use the influence and expertise you will gain at the University of Sheffield to change something in your community?
Submit your entry as: a 60-second video, a 600-word essay or a one-sided A3 poster design.
How to apply
You'll need to have a University of Sheffield MUSE account to apply for this scholarship.
Use our scholarship form to apply (log into MUSE first or click/tap on the blue MUSE account button on the scholarship form):
If you haven't set up your MUSE account yet, activate your account here.
The deadline to submit your application is 5pm on Monday 19 March.
How we assess entries
We'll judge entries against our key values:
Further information regarding the selection process is available in the Details section below.
- To apply for this scholarship, you need to have received an academic offer to study a full-time undergraduate course at the University of Sheffield starting in September 2018.
- You'll need to put the University of Sheffield as your firm choice before 19 July 2018.
- The accommodation award will be a standard single en-suite room at either Ranmoor/Endcliffe or City. Explore University accommodation.
- There will be over 50 runners-up awards. The recipients of these will have the choice of either: a £500 University catering card or a year's peak gym membership at Sport Sheffield.
- The award is for new full-time home fee-paying undergraduate students beginning their studies in September 2018.
- You may be eligible to apply for more than one award but you will only receive either: one of the Scholarship Challenge awards or one of the Alumni awards.
- Your application for the scholarship must be submitted by 5pm Monday 19 March 2018.
- Within the application you will need to answer the above question with a 600-word essay, provide the URL to your unlisted YouTube video (details below) or upload your poster to your application.
- Selection process. Entries will be ranked by a selection panel consisting of academic and Professional Services staff and Sheffield Students' Union sabbatical officers. When making their decision the panel will give regard to the University's key values (as listed above) and their decision is discretionary and final.
- The highest ranked applications will receive the accommodation award.
- All full-time courses are eligible.
- You are still required to apply for accommodation from early March 2018.
- We'll let you know by the end of April 2018 if you're provisionally successful and this will be fully confirmed once you secure your place at the University of Sheffield.
- If you have any questions or would like to talk to someone about the Scholarship Challenge, please contact the Financial Support Team: E: email@example.com, T: 0114 222 1319.
Uploading your video on YouTube – select unlisted
If you submit your entry as a video, we'd recommend setting your video to unlisted. Before you start uploading the video, go to the video privacy settings and choose unlisted. This means we'll be able to view your video but it won't be public. Please include the URL for your video within your application.
Follow these steps to upload your video:
Terms and conditions
- The Scholarship Challenge is a competitive process and not all applicants will be successful.
- You must not already hold an equivalent level qualification.
- By submitting your application you are confirming that this is your own work.
- If you are selected to receive the scholarship you will need to have applied for University managed accommodation. Once the offer of accommodation is confirmed for a 42 week contract you will need to pay a £150 deposit to secure your accommodation. More information is available on the University accommodation web pages
- All courses are eligible and awards are available across all faculties.
- There are no cash alternatives to the awards.
- No monies will be paid to the successful scholars.
- Catering cards are valid in any Accommodation and Commercial Services outlet, including bars and the Village Store but can be used for food and soft drinks only. The cards are non transferable and outstanding values cannot be refunded. Any remaining balance will roll over from year to year if unspent, until the student leaves University.
- Receiving this award will not affect your eligibility to receive support from the Student Loans Company.
- Receiving this award will not affect your eligibility to receive the University of Sheffield Bursary.
- Receiving this award will not affect your eligibility to receive other scholarships outside of the Scholarship Challenge, apart from the Alumni Scholarship (you can only receive one of these two).
- Applications will only be seen by members of the Financial Support Team and the selection panels. We will not share any personal details about you without your prior consent.
- If successful, you may be asked to take part in promoting and sharing benefits of the scheme.