How to certify your degree certificate and apply for a replacement.
Most students will receive their degree certificate at an in-person graduation ceremony. Once you’ve been awarded your degree, the Events Team will contact you about your graduation and degree certificate. You can't collect your certificate from the Events Team or request your certificate before your graduation ceremony.
If your degree is conferred at an in-absentia (not in-person) ceremony or you can't attend your graduation ceremony, the Events Team will contact you to arrange postage of your certificate.
If you are an undergraduate student graduating in July 2021, the following page explains how to register your postal address and when you will receive your certificate.
The University does not issue electronic degree certificates. If you need proof of your degree before your certificate is available, your digital transcript in the Gradintelligence system confirms your final degree award and classification.
Due to the Covid-19 outbreak and a government enforced lockdown, we cannot provide any certified copies at this time. If you require proof of your degree please order a Confirming Letter.
Please continue to check this webpage for further updates on when we can resume production of these documents.
You can usually request certified copies of your degree certificate from SSiD online for £10 (includes 5 copies).
- upload a scanned colour copy of your degree certificate
- specify if you'd like us to post your copies to multiple addresses
- Certified copies can take up to 5-10 working days to prepare.
- Certified copies produced from archive records can take up to 6 weeks if you graduated before 1998.
- We can only certify degree or diploma certificates awarded by the University of Sheffield.
- We can't certify copies of certificates that have already been marked, certified or notarised by a third party.
If you've lost or damaged your original degree certificate, you can request a replacement online for £30.
- Replacement degree certificates can take up to 15 working days to prepare.
- If you graduated prior to 1995, your certificate may take up to 6 weeks to prepare from archive records.
- You're only eligible for one original copy of your degree certificate.
- We can only produce your request if your original certificate has been lost, damaged, or destroyed.
- If your original certificate has been damaged, you must send your damaged certificate back to us before we can provide a replacement.
If you didn't collect your degree certificate at graduation, you can arrange to have it delivered to your home.
If you don't use a tracked delivery method (Special Delivery or International Tracked and Signed) and your certificate is lost in the post, you'll have to order and pay for a replacement.
You cannot collect your certificate from the Events Team or request your certificate before your graduation ceremony.
If you require your original postgraduate certificate (60 credits) or undergraduate Department for Lifelong Learning certificate, you need to request this certificate.
Request PG Certificate (60 credits) or UG DLL certificateIf you have any queries about your original PG or DLL certificate, please contact the Student Administration Service.
SSiD is able to offer a limited postal service for degree certificates only. Collection is unavailable until further notice.
If you're requesting your certificate for delivery in the UK, we recommend Royal Mail Special Delivery. This is a tracked delivery service that costs £6.50, with an estimated delivery time of 2-3 working days.
For overseas deliveries, we recommend using Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed delivery. This costs £15, with an estimated delivery time of 5-10 working days. This will allow you to track your delivery up until it leaves the UK. Depending on your country's postal service, additional tracking may be available once your delivery reaches your country.
We do offer standard delivery for no additional cost, but you will not be able to track the delivery. If you choose standard delivery, your certificate will be sent by:
- Royal Mail 2nd Class (UK) - 3-5 working days
- Royal Mail International Standard (overseas) - 10-15 working days (EU) or 15-30 days (worldwide)
The delivery times given above are estimates. Please be aware that due to Covid-19, Royal Mail delivery times may be affected.
Lost in transit
Depending on the delivery method, you can report your item as lost after the following timescale:
- Royal Mail 2nd Class (UK) - 10 working days
- Royal Mail Special Delivery (UK) - 5 working days
- Royal Mail International Standard (EU) - 1 month
- Royal Mail International Standard and International Tracked and Signed (worldwide) - 6 weeks
If your certificate has not arrived after waiting the time listed above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.