PhD students in chemistry

Funding your PhD

Many of the projects available in Chemistry come with funding to cover your tuition fees and living expenses – for example, a project may be funded by a research council or Centre for Doctoral Training.

If you are not eligible for a funded project, or you are applying for a project that does not come with funding, you may be able to find funding for tuition fees and living expenses from one of the sources below. It is also a good idea to contact the supervisor of any project you are interested in applying for, as they may be able to advise you on other sources of funding. We also accept applications from students who are able to fund themselves.

See also: Tuition fees at the University of Sheffield

Graduate Teaching Assistantships

Available to UK applicants only

Graduate Teaching Assistants are PhD students who work as demonstrators in undergraduate laboratories for around two days each week during the undergraduate semesters. They complete their PhD over four years, instead of the standard three years, and funding is provided to cover their tuition fees and living expenses.

You can apply for a Graduate Teaching Assistantship when you fill in the University of Sheffield's postgraduate online application form to apply for your PhD.

Find out more

University of Sheffield scholarships

Scholarships from the University of Sheffield and external sources are available for new PhD students to help cover tuition fees and living expenses. Details of what is available and how to apply are given on the University of Sheffield's webpages for postgraduate students.

Postgraduate research scholarships

The University of Sheffield has lots of information and advice about how to fund your PhD on its webpages for postgraduate students. You can find information about tuition fees, check your fee status and use the University of Sheffield's student funding calculator tool.

Financial information for PhD study