Cycling is a good way to help you keep fit and can be quicker than travelling by car in congested conditions. It is on the increase with more people cycling to and from the campus and we aim to make it as easy as possible to get here by bike.
There are over 1,400 cycle parking spaces both on the main campus and at the residences. We are always looking at new opportunities to improve parking so we will be putting in more Sheffield stands, lockers and secure stores.
It is important to keep your bike secure, South Yorkshire Police offer advice on how to store your bike and what types of lock to use.
We have a folding pool bike for members of staff to get around campus. The pool bike was the start of a cycling revolution which has improved things for the Commercial Services team. Inspired? If you want to try the pool bike yourself, contact email@example.com.
Cycle repair kits on campus
EFM has made cycle repair kits available across campus. The comprehensive sets include lots of useful tools to get you back on the road, whether you’re on a mountain or a road bike. Just get in touch with the kit’s custodian in one of the eight following locations:
- AMRC Training Centre/Boeing: Try Kathryn Jackson (AMRC Training) on 0114 225 8057/K.P.Jackson@sheffield.ac.uk or Adam Wiles (AMRC Boeing) on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arts Tower: Contact Eric Bohun 0114 222 email@example.com or Darren Hardwick 0114 222 firstname.lastname@example.org
- English Language Teaching Centre reception: Contact 0114 222 email@example.com
- Hadfield Building: Contact James Grinham on 0114 222 firstname.lastname@example.org
- ICOSS building: Contact Professor Andrew Dickerson, A.P.Dickerson@sheffield.ac.uk, 0114 222 3321
- Medical School Porters Lodge: Contact Mick Connolly on 0114 222 email@example.com
- Sport Sheffield reception: Contact Benjamin Jennings or reception on 0114 222 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Western Bank Library: During staffed hours contact Angus Taggart (0114 222 email@example.com) and at weekends contact Del Pickup (0114 222 firstname.lastname@example.org)
The kit is designed for cyclists to make emergency repairs. It contains a puncture repair kit; two Philips and two flat screwdrivers; a freewheel remover; a small screwdriver (for derailleur adjustment; a 8/10mm open-ended wrench; a chain whip; 30/32 and 36/40 wrench; cone wrenches (13/15+14/16); a crankarm extractor; a spoke adjustor; an allen key set; an adjustable bottom bracket tool; 15/16 and 15/17 pedal wrench; a cartridge bottom bracket tool; an adjustable wrench (0-21mm); a chain rivet extractor; a 8mm hex key wrench (for crank arm removal); three tire levers; 6/8/9/10 mm hexagonal wrench; and a hand pump.
Please contact Eric Bohun if you have any further questions (0114 222 email@example.com)
Joining Cycling UK
Cycling UK works to encourage more people to take up cycling, to make cycling safer and more enjoyable, and to provide cyclists with the support and resources they need. Its activities vary from road safety promotion to the provision of organised cycling holidays.
The University of Sheffield has a group membership of Cycling UK, which means staff and students are eligible for reduced membership rates: Staff can get reduced rate affiliate membership for £24 p/a (full membership is £45); Students can get reduced rate full membership for £21.50 p/a.
Benefits of full membership include:
- Indemnity insurance cover
- Access to local cycling group rides (click here to see groups in Sheffield)
- Six issues of Cycle magazine
- Discounts at Halfords, Cotswold, Outdoor and reduced tickets for cycle shows
- Free professional legal advice re cycling accidents
- A weekly newsletter with the latest cycling news and access to special cycle theft/travel insurance
- ... and more (including free cycle clips)
Affiliate members don’t receive the legal advice or the Cycle magazine. Affiliate membership can be purchased using the University’s group membership number 90128659.