International Merit Postgraduate Scholarships 2017
Our Merit Postgraduate Scholarships are worth 50% of the annual postgraduate tuition fee.
- A link to the online scholarship application will be sent by email to all eligible students from January onwards.
- Applicants must have received an offer by 16 June 2017.
- The deadline for scholarship applications is Friday 23 June 2017.
- Scholarship results will be announced Friday 28 July 2017.
Eligibility and award criteria
To be eligible for the scholarships, applicants must be a national of or permanently domiciled in one of the following:
|East and South Africa: Kenya, Uganda, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, South Africa, Tanzania, Mauritius||Latin America: Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Mexico, Paraguay, Panama, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela|
|Middle East and North Africa: Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Oman, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, Sudan, Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco||South East Asia: Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar (Burma), Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam|
|West Africa: Benin, Cameroon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea Bissau, Ivory Coast, Togo, Guinea|
|South Korea||Sri Lanka|
- Applicants must have applied for and been offered a study place at the University of Sheffield before Friday 16 June 2017 to be eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- The scholarship application is a separate online process to applying for a course. A link to the online scholarship application will be sent by email to all eligible students from January onwards.
- The scholarship will be awarded on the the basis of academic merit and the supporting statement. The final decision will be made by an academic panel.
- The scholarship can be awarded in conjunction with other University of Sheffield scholarships as long as the individual does not become fully funded, for tuition fee purposes, as a result of the sum of these awards.
- The scholarships will take the form of a tuition fee reduction only.
- You must be self-funding and classified as overseas for tuition fee purposes.
- The scholarship will not be awarded where funding is applicable from an external body* and there is an agreement already in place between the external body and the University of Sheffield to offer a tuition fee discount to the student.
- The scholarships are for full-time and part-time students only. Students studying online or via distance learning are not eligible for the scholarships.
- Part-time students will receive the full value of a one year of scholarship split pro rata over the duration of an equivalent single full-time academic year.
- These scholarships exclude postgraduate courses in Clinical Dentistry where the higher clinical fee is applicable.
- Overseas students registered on partnership programmes will only be eligible for a proportionate amount of scholarship reflecting the percentage of the programme studied at and percentage of the tuition fees paid to the University of Sheffield. E.g. studying a 50:50 course with the University of Sheffield and another institution where the fees paid to the University of Sheffield are £8000, a scholarship will be applied which represents 50% of the full scholarship amount.
* Government or governmental organisation – international, national or regional; research council; charity; private enterprise; or any similar organisation.