We know that some students and staff will face bigger challenges, particularly if you have a specific learning difference, a medical condition or a disability. Our aim - through enhanced access and support - is to help all users make best use of our services, whether on campus or at a distance.
We make learning accessible for all
We aim to be responsive to all users’ needs, ensuring the best experience for everyone.
We’re passionate about helping you to fulfil your potential. Our specialist staff, available virtually and in every library site, will help with tailored support if your needs are more complex.
Enhanced access and support
Whatever your work preference and need (both physical and digital), our staff can provide the support and guidance to help you make the most of the facilities and resources available. These include services such as:
- A designated library support worker to assist you with using library resources
- Accessible e-books and supportive training
- Height adjustable desks and chairs
- Support for making online resources more accessible
- Accessible buildings and spaces
- Free scanning, photocopying, printing, and postal service
- Longer loans and postal loans
- Help accessing resources from other libraries
- Induction and tour of any of the library sites, in which staff will advise you on the best ways to access resources, and practical matters such as emergency evacuation procedures
- One-to-one advice sessions with a subject librarian
- Bookable spaces equipped with assistive software and technology
- Quiet and distraction-free spaces
- Wellbeing spaces
- Accessible, gender-neutral toilets
- Wudu and prayer room facilities
- Productivity tools including assistive technology and software
- Access to resources in accessible formats
- Assistive dogs are always welcome
Accessible buildings and spaces
Ask a question
Phone: +44 114 222 7200
A world-class university – a unique student experience
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.