The Library has a comprehensive collection of contemporary and historical newspapers available.
Nexis – Provides news content from a range of UK national and regional newspapers, international and foreign language news sources.
UK Press Online – Content includes: Daily Express (1900-present); Daily Star (2000-present); Daily Star Sunday (2002-present); Daily Worker (1930-1955); Morning Star (1997-present); Sunday Express (2000-present).
Economist – Online subscription covers unlimited access to all articles at Economist.com.
Financial Times (FT.com) – Online edition and access to the ePaper, an exact digital replica of different editions of the printed newspaper (eg UK, Asia, USA).
Times Higher Education – Unlimited access to THE content online.
Gale Primary Sources:
- British Library Newspapers, 1714-1950
- Daily Mail Historical Archive, 1896-2016
- Economist Historical Archive, 1843-2020
- Financial Times Historical Archive, 1888-2021
- Illustrated London News Historical Archive, 1842-2003
- Independent Historical Archive, 1986-2016
- International Herald Tribune Historical Archive, 1887-2013
- Listener Historical Archive, 1929-1991
- Mirror Historical Archive, 1903-2000
- Nineteenth Century U.S. Newspapers
- Picture Post Historical Archive, 1938-1957
- Punch Historical Archive, 1841-1992
- Seventeenth and Eighteenth Century Burney Newspapers Collection
- Seventeenth and Eighteenth Century Nichols Newspapers Collection
- Sunday Times Historical Archive, 1822-2016
- Telegraph Historical Archive, 1855-2016
- Times Digital Archive, 1785-2019
- Times Literary Supplement Historical Archive, 1902-2019
Proquest Historical Newspapers:
- Chicago Defender, 1909-2010
- Chicago Tribune, 1849-1998
- Chinese Newspapers Collection, 1832-1953
- Communist Historical Newspaper Collection, 1919-2013
- Guardian and Observer, 1791-2003
- Irish Times and the Weekly Irish Times, 1859-2021
- Korea Times, 1956-2016
- Los Angeles Times, 1881-1999
- New York Amsterdam News, 1922-2010
- New York Times with Index, 1851-2019
- Pittsburgh Courier, 1911-2010
- Scotsman, 1817-1950
- South China Morning Post, 1903-2001
- Times of India, 1838-2010
- Washington Post, 1877-2006
Irish Newspaper Archives – Offers electronic versions of Irish newspapers from the 1700s to the present.
Independent Voices – A digital collection of alternative press newspapers.
For further archives containing newspaper content, please visit History subject guide.
Ask a question
Phone: +44 114 222 7200
A world-class university – a unique student experience
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.