Small Press Poetry Broadside Collection
Ref: Special Collection
Scope: A developing collection of mid-twentieth, and twenty-first century poetry broadsides from a range of British and American small press poetry publishers and printers.
Administrative / biographical history:
Many small poetry presses produce broadsides which are often works of art above and beyond solely works of poetry. The scale of these broadsides—a larger area than a regular-sized page—allows the poets who illustrate their own work the luxury to present their poems in innovative ways. (Additionally, an artist can use the broadside medium to present new interpretations of poems written years earlier.) Poetry broadsides have been created to advertise readings or new collections; as celebrations; or simply to draw attention to a fine poem. They can be made from any paper stock, from cheap newsprint to expensive handmade. The poems can be printed by hand, or mimeoed; with colour, or without.
The collection began in 2013 and so far includes examples from the Toothpaste Press, Cuneiform, Goliard Press, Five Seasons Press, Oyez Press, and many others.
- Related collections: Small Press Poetry Collection; Barque, Crater, Face, Gargoyle, and West House Presses; Zephyrus Image Collection
- Source: By donation and purchase
- System of arrangement: Numerically
- Subjects: Poetry - 20th century; Poetry – 21st century;
- Conditions of access: Available to all academic researchers, by appointment
- Restrictions: No restrictions
- Finding aids: Listed and catalogued