Postgraduate research scholarships FAQs

Answers to some frequently asked questions about PGR scholarships.

On this page:

How do I apply for a scholarship?

Please check the information on each scholarship for details of how to apply. We recommend that you discuss your research plans with the academic department/supervisor before applying. You will need to apply for admission to the University before applying for a scholarship. 

There is one application form for University of Sheffield Research, Hossein Farmy, China Scholarship Council and ESRC White Rose Doctoral Training Partnership Awards. Some departments and faculties may also award additional funds through this scheme.

Applications for AHRC White Rose College of Arts and Humanities (WRoCAH) scholarships must be submitted separately via

You must have applied for a place of study in order to submit a scholarship application.  Please note that some departments have earlier deadlines for applications onto PhD programmes.  Please ensure that you check with your intended department as soon as possible.

You do not have to have a confirmed offer before applying for a scholarship, however, for China Scholarship Council awards, you must have an Unconditional Offer by the scholarship application deadline

I've missed the scholarship application deadline - what can I do?

In order to maintain a fair and transparent process, and ensure that funding is allocated in good time, we cannot accept late applications for these scholarship schemes.

If you have missed the deadline for the main University scholarship applications, we advise you to look into additional funding sources which may have later deadlines. You should also speak to the academic department you've applied to, who may be able to advise you on other sources of funding.

If you have been offered a place at the University, the final option is to consider deferring your entry until the next academic year - you should discuss this with your department/supervisor.

Can I apply for more than one scholarship?

You can apply for any number of scholarships for which you are eligible. It is a good idea to apply for as many scholarships as you can to increase your chances of gaining funding. Some scholarships have restrictions on whether you can hold other awards at the same time, so if you are successful in gaining more than one scholarship, you should check whether you can accept both or need to choose between them.

I am a student from an EU country, which scholarships can I apply for?

Dependent on their settled status, EU citizens could qualify for either Home or Overseas fee status (see the FAQ regarding fee status below). Scholarships information can be found on our Home applicants information and international applicants information pages.

I am an international student, which scholarships can I apply for?

Scholarships available to International students are listed on our international applicants information. You should also check the PhD projects directory, since some projects are open to International applicants.

There is further information on funding for international students on the SSiD webpages.

Which scholarships am I eligible for?

University of Sheffield scholarships and Research Council scholarships are open to Home and international applicants. 

The Joint China Scholarship Council - University of Sheffield Award is only open to Chinese applicants. The Hossein Farmy Award is only open to UK applicants. 

Some scholarships are for specific subject areas or have other eligibility criteria, so you should check the details of each scholarship to ensure that you are eligible before applying.

How do I find out my fee status?

Following the UK’s exit from the European Union, EU and EEA students who start their programme from the 2021/22 academic year onwards, and who do not have settled status, pre-settled status (meeting residency requirements) or indefinite leave to remain in the UK, will be classed as international students and therefore liable for overseas fees.

If you are unsure about your fee status as a UK, EU or overseas student, you should liaise with Admissions as soon as possible in order to verify this so we can consider you for all relevant scholarships - please see the fee status webpages for more information on fee status.

If you are still unsure about your eligibility, please email the Admissions Team at for advice.

I want to study part-time, can I apply for a scholarship?

Most scholarships are available for both full- and part-time study, but you should check the details of the scholarship(s) you wish to apply for.

I am a current PhD student at Sheffield, can I apply for a scholarship?

The majority of University and Research Council PhD scholarship schemes are only open to new applicants who have not yet started their PhD. Please check the details of each scholarship scheme - the eligibility criteria will tell you whether you can apply as a current student.

I want to study for a masters, can I apply for a scholarship?

The main information source for masters funding is the postgraduate taught courses webpages. The ESRC offer some funding for masters programmes in their subject areas

Some other external funders also offer support for masters courses.

I am applying for undergraduate study, can I apply for a scholarship?

The scholarships on these web pages are for postgraduate research students - mainly PhDs, with some awards for masters courses. Please see the undergraduate information pages for advice on undergraduate funding.

I want to study abroad as part of my PhD, can I apply for a scholarship?

Many students spend time abroad as part of their PhD. Some scholarships include the possibility of additional funding for study visits abroad – please see the information on each scholarship for details.

I am studying at another institution but want to visit the University of Sheffield as part of my studies, can I get any financial support?

If you are at an institution in another country, you may be able to get support from the Study Abroad programme. Otherwise, you should speak to your own institution and the department you wish to visit at Sheffield to find out if there is any support available.

I have a place at another University, can I apply to you for funding?

No - we only provide scholarships for students studying at the University of Sheffield.

Where else can I look for postgraduate funding?

Some sources are listed on this additional postgraduate funding page, and we also recommend that you speak to the academic department you are applying to since they may be able to advise you about other funding opportunities.

When will I find out if I have been successful in gaining a scholarship award?

This varies between the different schemes. For scholarships administered by the University, we will indicate on the website when you can expect to hear if you have been successful. We understand that you want and need to know the outcome as soon as possible, and will do our best to make decisions quickly and keep you informed.

How can I contact the PGR scholarships team?

You can email the PGR Scholarships team on