Department of Civil and Structural Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering
Develop skills in the analysis and design of steel and concrete structures. You can tailor the course to your specific interests, so it’s ideal for practising structural engineers who want to enhance their skills, or for anyone pursuing a career in this field.
This degree is accredited as meeting the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer (CEng) for candidates who have already acquired a partial CEng accredited undergraduate first degree. See the Joint Board of Moderators website for more details.
Examples of core modules:
- Advanced Engineering Research Study
- Linear Systems and Structural Analysis
- Structural Dynamics and Applications to Earthquake Engineering and Vibration
- Computational Structural Analysis
- Civil Engineering Research Proposal
- Structural Design
Examples of optional modules:
- Advanced Concrete Design
- Design of Earthquake Resistant Structures
- Multistorey Steel Building Design
- Sustainable Concrete Technology
- Innovations in Structural Concrete
- Blast and Impact Effects on Structures
- Geotechnical Design
- Structural Analysis and Design for Fire
- Earthquake Engineering and Risk Management
- Lectures by academic staff
- Design tutorials
- Design projects
- Computational tutorials
- Lab work
- Industrial seminars
- Advanced engineering research study (dissertation)
Some modules engage our industrial partners, laboratory work and site visits.
September–June: Taught modules and preparation for your dissertation.
June–August: Complete your dissertation. Your Advanced Engineering Research Study gives you the opportunity to work with an academic on a piece of research in a subdiscipline. We’ll give you training in research skills.
1 year full-time
Minimum 2:1 honours degree (BEng, MEng, BSc) in civil or structural engineering or other appropriate engineering or science subject.
We'll consider your application if you have appropriate professional qualifications and work experience, but you'll need a strong background in the areas covered on the course.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It's a quick and easy process.
+44 114 222 5711
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.