Professor Visakan Kadirkamanathan
Director of Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre
in Control and Systems Engineering
Professor Visakan Kadirkamanathan BA, PhD
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
University of Sheffield
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 5680
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 5661
I was born in Jaffna, Sri Lanka and had my early education in Sri Lanka. Having spent my entire school career at St. Johns College, Jaffna, I attended the University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka briefly before moving to the UK. As a Christ’s College Scholar, I graduated with a Class I Degree in Electrical and Information Sciences from the Engineering Department at Cambridge University, followed by a Ph.D. in Information Engineering from the same institution. For the latter, I was awarded the Lord Mountbatten Memorial Scholarship from Christ´s College.
My first academic appointment was as Lecturer in the Department of Automatic Control & Systems Engineering at Sheffield in January 1993 following brief post-doctoral research positions at Cambridge and Surrey Universities. During the last few years, I was promoted to Senior Lecturer, then Reader and in 2007 to the position of Professor of Signal and Information Processing.
From April 2009 to August 2014, I have had the privilege of being the Head of Department during which time this unique Department has seen a significant expansion. In July 2012 I assumed the role of Director of the Rolls-Royce supported University Technology Centre in Control and Systems Engineering.
I have taught a number of modules in the undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes over the years. These subjects include state space control design, systems reliability and fault diagnosis, nonlinear systems and the group design project.
My current teaching is:
- ACS318: System Identification
- ACS6103: Signal Processing and Estimation
My research interests belong to the broad category of signal and information processing. My research activities are partly in the Intelligent Systems, Decision and Control related research carried out within the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre and partly in the Centre for Signal Processing and Complex Systems. They include both theoretical and applications research, and also external collaborations with other Sheffield Departments and Industries.
The main research themes are:
- Modelling and Identification of natural and engineered complex systems
- Spatiotemporal system identification with applications in life, physical and social sciences
- Fault detection, diagnosis and prognosis with application to aircraft engines
- Intelligent systems decision support and applications in aerospace and biomedicine
- Autonomous and self-organised swarms and agent systems
- EPSRC: TACDAM, Investigators - G Panoutsos (PI), V Kadirkamanathan, £121,611 (VK £33,242)
- EPSRC: Future Advanced Metrology Hub, Investigators - V Kadirkamanathan (PI), M Mahfouf (CI), B L Jones, £1.1M (£930,453 Sheffield, VK £404,284)
- EPSRC: Preliminary Investigation for advanced control for distributed hybrid propulsion systems, Investigators - V Kadirkamanathan (PI), B L Jones, A R Mills, A Hills, P Trodden, 2016-2017, £20,000 (VK £4,000)
- Innovate UK: EE2EHM v2, Investigators - A R Mills (PI), V Kadirkamanathan, P Trodden, I Esnaola, 2017-2020, £1.2M (£983,918 Sheffield, VK £98,392)
- EPSRC: Future Powder Manufacturing Hub, Investigators - V Kadirkamanathan (CI), G Panoutsos (CI), 2016-2023, £5.1M (£1,027,858 Sheffield, VK £513,929)
- Rolls-Royce: UTC Submarines, Investigators - V Kadirkamanathan (PI), A R Mills, I Esnaola, S A Pope, P Trodden, T J Dodd, 2016, £23,978 (VK £9,591)
- Rolls-Royce: RR Data Analytics, Investigators - A R Mills (PI), V Kadirkamanathan, 2016, £138,299 (VK £55,320)
- Rolls-Royce: Civil WSN TRL6, Investigators - A R Mills (PI), V Kadirkamanathan, B L Jones, 2016, £108,475 (VK £10,848)
- Rolls-Royce: UTC 2016, Investigators - V Kadirkamanathan (PI), P Trodden, S A Pope, T J Dodd, A R Mills, 2016, £402,600 (VK £161,040)
- NERC: Banwart CZO Scheme, V Kadirkamanathan (not PI), £22,260 (VK £2,226)
- Rolls-Royce: EHM for highly specialised assets, Investigators - A R Mills (PI), V Kadirkamanathan, A Hills, 2015-2017, £104,400 (VK £41,760)
- Rolls-Royce: UTC Control and Systems Engineering 2015, Investigators - V Kadirkamanathan (PI), A R Mills, T J Dodd, B L Jones, I Esnaola, P Trodden, £314,056 (VK £159,712)
- Arthritis Research UK: Development of a personalised health forecasting tool for patients undergoing hip or knee replacement, V Kadirkamanathan(not PI), £127,426 (VK £25,485)
- Rolls-Royce: UTC Control and Systems Engineering 2014, Investigators - V Kadirkamanathan (PI), A R Mills, T J Dodd, B L Jones, £289,870 (VK £112,548)
- EPSRC: Optimization for robust full-vehicle design, Investigators - P J Fleming (PI), R Purshouse, V Kadirkamanathan, C Rao, £895,432 (VK £44,771)
- TSB: PreDICT, Investigators - A R Mills (PI), V Kadirkamanathan, J Liu, R F Harrison, £214,641 (VK £21,464)
- Rolls-Royce: Wireless EHM for Civil Aero, Investigators - A R Mills (PI), V Kadirkamanathan, B L Jones, D Holtby, £96,520 (VK 9,652)
- EPSRC Frontier Engineering: Modelling complex and partially identified engineering problems-Application to the individualised multi-scale simulation of the musculoskeletal system. Investigators - M J Hounslow, D Lacroix, M Viceconti, S A Billings, V Kadirkamanathan, A Pavic, E McCloskey and T Skerry, 2013-2018, £4.75M.
- BBSRC: Novel zebrafish approaches to investigate leaderless protein secretion in vivo. Investigators – H.Wilson, S.Renshaw and V.Kadirkamanathan (CI), 2013-2016, £373,297 (VK 55,995)
- TSB: SILOET II – Holistic optimising systems. Investigators – V.Kadirkamanathan, G.Jewell and G.Priestman, 2013-2015, £359,000.
- Rolls-Royce: UTC in Control and Systems Engineering, Investigators – V.Kadirkamanathan, T.J.Dodd and A.R.Mills, 2013, £304,000.
- Dorothy Hodgkin Postgraduate Award (DHPA): Systems health monitoring using transient signals. Investigators – V.Kadirkamanathan and P.J.Fleming, 2012-2015, £90,000.
- Vestas Research Grant: Control and monitoring of wind turbines. Investigators – V.Kadirkamanathan, B.L.Jones, J.A.Rossiter, Z.Q.Lang and S.A.Pope, 2011-2013, £120,000.
- UK-India Partnership - UKIERI: Integrated sensing monitoring and healing for complex autonomous systems. Investigators – V.Kadirkamanathan, S.A.Pope and P.J.Fleming, 2012-2014, £20,400.
- NERC: A century of variability in Greenland melting and iceberg calving. Investigators – G.Bigg, E.Hanna, V.Kadirkamanathan and S.A.Billings, 2011-14, £311,959.
- Unilver Research Grant: Nonlinear signal processing for time series classification. Investigators – R.Gross and V.Kadirkamanathan, 2011-2012, £62,414.
- BAE Systems Research Grant: Decision support tool in FLAME GPU. Investigators – J.Derrick, V.Kadirkamanathan and P.Richmond, 2011, £51,895.
- EPSRC Platform Grant: System identification and information processing for complex systems with Investigators S.A.Billings, V.Kadirkamanathan, M.A.Billings, D.Coca, Z.Q.Lang and H.L.Wei, 2010-15, £1,205,632.
- EU FP7: Search for Electro-Magnetic Earthquake Precursors combining satellite and ground-based facilities (SEMEP). Investigators – M.A.Balikhin and V.Kadirkamanathan, 2010-2012, €452,514.
- Royal Society International Collaboration Grant: Investigation of the control mechanism on co-culture bioethanol producing system with Investigators V.Kadirkamanathan, and H.L.Wei, 2010-12, £11,950.
- EPSRC/GSK Joint Grant: Array design for lead optimization in pharmaceutical research. Investigators – V.Gillet, P.Willett and V.Kadirkamanathan, 2006-10, £235,682.
- EPSRC Platform Grant: System identification and signal processing for complex systems. Investigators – S.A.Billings, V.Kadirkamanathan, M.A.Billings, D.Coca and Z.Q.Lang, 2005-10, £422,571.
Professional activities and recognition
- Co-Editor, International Journal of Systems Science (2003-now).
- Chair, 4th IAPR International Conference on Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics (PRIB), Sheffield, 2009.
- Co-Organiser, Pascal 2 Workshop on Spatiotemporal modelling, Edinburgh, 2009.
- Invited Plenary, IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Control and Information Processing (ICICIP), Harbin, China, 2011.
- Panel Member of Session on “What are Industry needs from Control Education”, IFAC International Symposium on Advances in Control Education (ACE), Sheffield, 2013.
- Member of the IAPR Technical Committee in Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics, 2007 – now.
- UDE-Based Controller Equipped with a Multi-Band-Stop Filter to Improve the Voltage Quality of Inverters. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 64(9), 7433-7443. View this article in WRRO
- Estimation and Identification of Spatio-Temporal Models with Applications in Engineering, Healthcare and Social Science. Annual Reviews in Control. View this article in WRRO
- Autonomous crowds tracking with box particle filtering and convolution particle filtering. Automatica, 69, 380-394. View this article in WRRO
- Using feedback control to actively regulate the healing rate of a self-healing process subjected to low cycle dynamic stress. Smart Materials and Structures, 25(5). View this article in WRRO
- Inferring the variation of climatic and glaciological contributions to West Greenland iceberg discharge in the twentieth century. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 121, 167-178. View this article in WRRO
- Computational system identification of continuous-time nonlinear systems using approximate Bayesian computation. International Journal of Systems Science, 47(15), 3537-3544. View this article in WRRO
- Spatiotemporal System Identification With Continuous Spatial Maps and Sparse Estimation. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 26(11), 2978-2983. View this article in WRRO
- Model-based estimation of intra-cortical connectivity using electrophysiological data. NeuroImage, 118, 563-575. View this article in WRRO
- A bootstrap-based approach for parameter and polyspectral density estimation of a non-minimum phase ARMA process. International Journal of Systems Science, 46(3), 418-428.
- An efficient TOF-SIMS image analysis with spatial correlation and alternating non-negativity-constrained least squares. Bioinformatics, 31(5), 753-760.
- A century of variation in the dependence of Greenland iceberg calving on ice sheet surface mass balance and regional climate change. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 470(2166). View this article in WRRO
- A zebrafish compound screen reveals modulation of neutrophil reverse migration as an anti-inflammatory mechanism.. Sci Transl Med, 6(225), 225ra29. View this article in WRRO
- Use of kernel-based Bayesian models to predict late osteolysis after hip replacement.. J R Soc Interface, 10(88), 20130678. View this article in WRRO
- Computational system identification for Bayesian NARMAX modelling. Automatica.
- Spatiotemporal multi-resolution approximation of the Amari type neural field model.. Neuroimage, 66, 88-102. View this article in WRRO
- Repelled from the wound, or randomly dispersed? Reverse migration behaviour of neutrophils characterized by dynamic modelling.. J R Soc Interface, 9(77), 3229-3239. View this article in WRRO
- A Data-Driven Framework for Identifying Nonlinear Dynamic Models of Genetic Parts. ACS SYNTHETIC BIOLOGY, 1(8), 375-384.
- Point process modelling of the Afghan War Diary.. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 109(31), 12414-12419.
- The neutrophil's eye-view: Inference and visualisation of the chemoattractant field driving cell chemotaxis in vivo. PLoS ONE, 7(4). View this article in WRRO
- Structure detection and parameter estimation for NARX models in a unified EM framework. Automatica.
- Variational estimation in spatiotemporal systems from continuous and point-process observations. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 60(7), 3449-3459.
- Drift-Diffusion Analysis of Neutrophil Migration during Inflammation Resolution in a Zebrafish Model.. Adv Hematol, 2012, 792163. View this article in WRRO
- Multiple Gaussian Process Models for Direct Time Series Forecasting. IEEJ T ELECTR ELECTR, 6(3), 245-252.
- Online variational inference for state-space models with point-process observations.. Neural Comput, 23(8), 1967-1999.
- Spatio-temporal dynamic modelling of smart structures using a robust expectation-maximization algorithm. Smart Materials and Structures, 20(4).
- A data-driven framework for neural field modeling.. Neuroimage, 56(3), 1043-1058. View this article in WRRO
- Optimisation of maintenance scheduling strategies on the grid. ANN OPER RES, 180(1), 213-231.
- Lead optimization using matched molecular pairs: inclusion of contextual information for enhanced prediction of HERG inhibition, solubility, and lipophilicity.. J Chem Inf Model, 50(10), 1872-1886. View this article in WRRO
- Prepatterning in the stem cell compartment.. PLoS One, 5(5), e10901. View this article in WRRO
- Parameter estimation and inference for stochastic reaction-diffusion systems: application to morphogenesis in D. melanogaster.. BMC Syst Biol, 4, 21. View this article in WRRO
- Modeling the evolution of culture-adapted human embryonic stem cells.. Stem Cell Res, 4(1), 50-56.
- An iterative Kalman smoother/least-squares algorithm for the identification of delta-ARX models. INT J SYST SCI, 41(7), 839-851.
- Modified variational Bayes EM estimation of hidden Markov tree model of cell lineages.. Bioinformatics, 25(21), 2824-2830.
- Analysis of neighborhood behavior in lead optimization and array design.. J Chem Inf Model, 49(2), 195-208. View this article in WRRO
- Estimation and Model Selection for an IDE-Based Spatio-Temporal Model. IEEE T SIGNAL PROCES, 57(2), 482-492.
- Predictive control of fast-sampled systems using the delta-operator. INT J SYST SCI, 40(7), 745-756.
- Data-Driven Spatio-Temporal Modeling Using the Integro-Difference Equation. IEEE T SIGNAL PROCES, 57(1), 83-91.
- Maximum-likelihood estimation of delta-domain model parameters from noisy output signals. IEEE T SIGNAL PROCES, 56(8), 3765-3770. View this article in WRRO
- Optimisation of maintenance scheduling strategies on the grid. Annals of Operations Research, 1-19.
- System identification from multiple short-time-duration signals.. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng, 54(12), 2205-2213. View this article in WRRO
- Modelling and identification of non-linear deterministic systems in the delta-domain. AUTOMATICA, 43(11), 1859-1868. View this article in WRRO
- Service-oriented architecture on the Grid for integrated fault diagnostics. CONCURRENCY AND COMPUTATION-PRACTICE & EXPERIENCE, 19(2), 223-234.
- View this article in WRRO A Canonical Space-Time State Space Model: State and Parameter Estimation.. IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, 55, 4862-4870.
- Parametric polyspectrum density estimation using the bootstrap method. SIGNAL PROCESS, 87(1), 177-188.
- Metabolic flux estimation--a self-adaptive evolutionary algorithm with singular value decomposition.. IEEE/ACM Trans Comput Biol Bioinform, 4(1), 126-138.
- Analysis of fast-sampled non-linear systems: Generalised frequency response functions for delta-operator models. SIGNAL PROCESS, 86(11), 3246-3257.
- Markov Chain Monte Carlo Algorithm based metabolic flux distribution analysis on Corynebacterium glutamicum.. Bioinformatics, 22(21), 2681-2687.
- Stability analysis of the particle dynamics in particle swarm optimizer. IEEE T EVOLUT COMPUT, 10(3), 245-255.
- Adaptive joint detection and estimation in fading MIMO channels - A hybrid systems approach. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 54(5), 1629-1644.
- Multiple H-infinity filter-based deterministic sequence estimation in non-Gaussian channels. IEEE SIGNAL PROC LET, 13(4), 185-188.
- Estimation of parameters in a linear state space model using a Rao-Blackwellised particle filter. IEE P-CONTR THEOR AP, 151(6), 727-738.
- Fault detection and isolation in non-linear stochastic systems - A combined adaptive Monte Carlo filtering and likelihood ratio approach. INT J CONTROL, 77(12), 1101-1114.