Dr Chiara Orsini
Department of Economics
Lecturer in Economics
+44 114 222 5572
Full contact details
Department of Economics
9 Mappin Street
Chiara holds a PhD and MA in Economics from the University of Maryland at College Park, and prior to joining the University of Sheffield has held academic positions at the University of Maryland at College Park, Aarhus University, the University of Venice, and the LSE, where she continues to hold an appointment as a visiting fellow at the Department of Health Policy.
- Research interests
Chiara ‘s research is in Applied Microeconometrics and lies at the intersection of Labor Economics, Health Economics, and Public Economics.
Chiara studies the behaviour of individuals, firms, and governments, and her research tries to understand intended and unintended effects of public policies, effects of innovation, issues relevant for the design of markets, inequality, consumer response to information, and the transmission of human capital.
Chiara is interested in supervising dissertations in Applied Microeconometrics, especially on topics related to the production of health and impact of healthcare policies
- The mortality effects of changing public funding for home health care: an empirical analysis of Medicare home health care in the United States. Health Economics, 28(7), 921-936. View this article in WRRO
- Girls and boys: economic crisis, fertility, and birth outcomes. Journal of Applied Econometrics, 33(7), 1044-1063. View this article in WRRO
- Did the Great Recession affect sex ratios at birth for groups with a son preference?. Economics Letters, 154, 48-50. View this article in WRRO
- Ownership and Exit Behavior: Evidence from the Home Health Care Market. The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, 16(1), 289-320. View this article in WRRO
- Macro-Economic Conditions and Infant Health: A Changing Relationship for Black and White Infants in the United States. PLoS ONE, 10(5). View this article in WRRO
- Spillover Effects of Drug Safety Warnings on Preventive Health Care Use. The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, 15(1), 179-208. View this article in WRRO
- Changing the way the elderly live: Evidence from the home health care market in the United States. Journal of Public Economics, 94(1-2), 142-152.
- Teaching activities
Chiara is currently teaching:
- ECN120: Statistical Methods for Economics
- ECN130: Economic Analysis and Policy