Graduates from the Department of Economics are some of the most sought after by the UK’s best employers.
97% of our economics graduates secured employment or further study six months after completing their course.
Destination of Leavers of higher education survey data 2016-17.
Our graduates are amongst the most sought after by some of the UK's top employers because of the wide range of skills they can bring to the workplace, particularly:
- Analysis of economic, business and social issues.
- Communication of economic ideas.
- Ability to organise, interpret and present quantitative data.
- Ability to simplify complex information, while still retaining relevance.
Examples of job roles our graduates go into:
Finance and insurance
- Rates Analyst, Bank of England.
- Auditing Associate, PwC.
- Actuarial Graduate, Lloyds Banking Group.
- Finance Graduate, Santander.
Professional and commercial
- Commercial Analyst, BP.
- Buyer, Rolls Royce.
- Finance Graduate, Boots.
- Product Specialist, Topshop.
Government and public sector
- Economist, HM Treasury.
- Assistant Economist, Office for Budget Responsibility.
- Economist, Ofcom.
- Graduate Researcher, YouGov.
Most of our courses give you the opportunity to do a year-long paid work placement and gain a degree “with Employment Experience”.
Work placements can provide you with valuable work experience and enable you to apply your economics knowledge and skills in the workplace.
These optional placements are in your third year of study and you will return to Sheffield for your fourth year. Recent student placements have been with the Bank of England, IBM, Lloyds Bank and Volkswagen.
You’ll need to make applications for placements yourself, but guidance and support will be provided through the process.
Placements are excellent preparation for entering a competitive job market and ideal if you're looking to secure a job after your degree with a top employer.
What our students say about placements
Explore. Challenge. Influence. Find the right course for you.