Professor John Rodenburg
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
tel: +44 (0) 114 222 5391
- Appointed in the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, University of Sheffield, in 2003
- Personal Chair, Faculty Director of Ion and Electron Microscopy ¦ Sorby Centre for Electron Microscopy
- Professor of Materials Analysis in the Materials and Engineering Institute of the Sheffield Hallam University (1999-2003)
- University Royal Society Research Fellow based in the Cavendish Laboratory (Physics Department) of the University of Cambridge (1989-1999)
- Research Fellow (1986-1989) and Fellow (1989-1999) of Murray Edwards College (formerly New Hall), University of Cambridge.
- PhD (University of Cambridge) ‘Detection and interpretation of electron microdiffraction patterns’
- BSc (Exeter) Physics
Professional Society Membership
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics
- Fellow of the Royal Microscopical Society
- Chartered Physicist
- Lensless imaging via iterative solution of the diffraction phase problem, as applied to visible light imaging, X-ray imaging and atomic-resolution electron imaging.
Lensless imaging – some selected papers:
Humphry MJ, Kraus B, Hurst AC, Maiden AM and Rodenburg JM
Ptychographic electron microscopy using high-angle dark-field scattering for sub-nanometre resolution imaging
Nature Communications 3:730 (2012) DoI: 10.1038/ncomms1733
Maiden AM, Rodenburg, JM and Humphry, MJ
Optical ptychography: a practical implementation with useful resolution
Optics Letters 35 (2010) 2585-2587
Hue F, Rodenburg, JM, Maiden, AM, Sweeney, F, and Midgley,PA
Wave-front phase retrieval in transmission electron microscopy via ptychography
Physical Review B 82 (2010) Article Number: 121415
Maiden, AM, and Rodenburg, JM
An improved ptychographical phase retrieval algorithm for diffractive imaging
Ultramicroscopy 109 (2009) 1256-1262
Ptychography and related diffractive imaging methods
Advances in Imaging and Electron Physics 150 (2008) 87-184
Rodenburg JM, Hurst AC, Cullis AG, Dobson BR, Pfeiffer F, Bunk O, David C, Jefimovs K and Johnson I
Hard X-ray lensless imaging of extended objects
Physics Review Letters 98 (2007) No 034801
Other Research Activity
- Instrumentation: Imaging mechanisms in environmental scanning electron microscopy (ESEM), quantification of glow discharge optical emission spectroscopy (GDEOS) and high temperature imaging of steel grain growth in SEM via a novel detector technology.
- Development of detector technology for scanning transmission electron microscope (STEM), including recording methods for coherent electron diffraction and applications of real-time autocorrelation for measuring bonding angle distributions in amorphous solids. Development of parallel electron energy loss spectroscopy and energy-filtered imaging.
- Materials: Development of YbAG via a low-temperature sol-gel route, strain measurements in semi-conductor multilayers, electron microscopy examination of nitride PVD coating technology for cutting tools and sharp edges.