Information for members of the Council and lay members of Council Committees
This information is intended to provide an introduction to the University for members of the Council and for lay members of Council Committees.
- General Information about the University
- Governance of the University
- A description of the induction materials, meetings and events available to new members of Council, but is also relevant to existing members.
- A systematic ‘framework’ to articulate the process of recruitment to Council and its sub-committees and the subsequent induction and support of members.
- Committee memberships and terms of reference.
University Statutes (PDF)
- Statutes of the University, including those relating to the membership and powers of the Council.
- The Calendar of the University, including the Charter and Regulations of Council.
- Report on the Review of the Effectiveness of the Council (2020).
- The University Framework for Decision-making Relating to Ethical and Reputational Risk.
- External Publications
- Committee of University Chairs Higher Education Code of Governance (September 2020).
- Funding terms and conditions for the period to 31 July 2019.
- A website designed for university Governors, with links to a range of resources.
- Resources for Governors of UK Universities and Colleges of Higher Education, Getting to Grips Series. These guides cover academic standards, quality and the student experience, audit, estates and infrastructure, finance, human resources, internationalisation, research and knowledge transfer, and risk.
- Governing bodies, equality and diversity: A handbook for governors of higher education institutions (Advance HE / Equality Challenge Unit, April 2009).
- What's required of a charity trustee, including their responsibilities to the charity.
- Charity Commission checklist for trustees in discharging their duties over fundraising, including a link to full guidance.
- A CUC Illustrative Practice Note on senior staff remuneration.
- A CUC Illustrative Practice Note.
Council Dates 2020-21 (PDF)
Who's Who form (.docx)
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.