Privacy Notice - ADR-UK funded Department for Education and Ministry of Justice Linked Data Research Project


Data controller

The University of Sheffield is a registered data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office. 

The registered address is: 

Sheffield University
Western Bank
S10 2TN

The University of Sheffield’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted at 

Where has the data been obtained from?

The University of Sheffield is obtaining data from the Department for Education and the Ministry of Justice for use in this research project. The data will not include any directly identifiable data (such as names, addresses) however, we are processing personal data.

The sources of data that will be used in the research project are the: National Pupil Database, School Census, Pupil Absence; Pupil Exclusions; Key Stage 1; Key Stage 2; Key Stage 3; Key Stage 4; Key Stage 5; Children in Need; Children Looked After and the Police National Computer.

Data is being obtained for a sample of individuals who were born in the years 1993-1998.

How is the data being used for the purposes of this research?

The information that you provide will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Your personal data will be collected and processed for the purpose of scientific research and statistical purposes and will be statistically analysed to explore the outcomes of children whose families were given support from a social worker and children who were placed in the care of the state, compared to children who had no involvement from social services. The impact of the social care intervention on performance at school and later involvement with the criminal justice system will be measured.

The University will not disclose your personal data to any external third party, other than as set out above and/or where you have given us permission to do so, unless we are required to do so by law. 

The personal data that you provide the University of Sheffield will be held in compliance with our Retention Schedule. 

Under the General Data Protection Regulation, the University must establish a legal basis for processing your personal data and communicate this to you. The legal basis for processing your personal data for legitimate interests is that processing is being undertaken in accordance with Article 6(1)(e) which states:  processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller.

Your right of access to your personal data

You have a right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you. If you would like to request a copy of some or all of your personal data, please contact the University Secretary's Office. We want to make sure that your personal data is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct or remove information that you think is inaccurate.  The University of Sheffield will not have access to any directly identifiable data. Therefore the request for access or to withdraw data will be processed by the original data holders and individuals should expect the response to their request to be from representatives from either the Department for Education or the Ministry of Justice

Your other rights as a data subject

 The GDPR provides you, as a data subject, with a number of rights in relation to your personal data. You have the right to withdraw your consent where that is the legal basis of our processing, have inaccuracies in the personal data that we hold about you rectified, a right to erasure, to request that the processing of your personal data be restricted, to object to certain processing activities and to complain to the Information Commissioner's Office about the way we process your personal data. 

Who do I contact if I want to know more? 

For further information about your right to access information we hold about you, to make a complaint about the way in which we are handling your personal information, or to request to be removed from our systems, please contact the Data Protection Officer at 

If you are not satisfied with our response or wish to raise a complaint with our supervisory body, you may complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.