Dr. Owen Fenton
Hydrogeologist and soil scientist working on characterisation of source, fate, attenuation and transformation including time lags of nutrients along surface and subsurface pathways in agricultural landscapes.
Visiting Professor of Environmental Science
Kroto Research Institute
North Campus, University of Sheffield
Telephone: +44 (0)114 22 25725
Fax: +44 (0)114 222 5701
email : email@example.com
- BSc Earth Science & Geology, University College Cork, Ireland
- MSc, Hydrogeology, University of Birmingham, UK
- PhD, Environmental Engineering, National University of Ireland Galway, Ireland International Land Drainage Research Institute ALTERRA Diploma
- Senior Research Officer with Teagasc since 2004, Agriculture and Food Research Institute in Ireland
Owen Fenton is an acknowledged international expert in the field of agricultural engineering and environmental science (>80 Web of Science Publications) focused on the mitigation and management of impacts of agricultural practices on land, water and climate systems. Based at the renowned Agriculture and Food Development Authority in Ireland (Teagasc), he is at the forefront in characterising the source, fate, attenuation and transformation of nutrients including time lags along the transfer continuum as well as developing innovative sustainable management and technology solutions for farming enterprises and professional bodies at national level. He currently supervises or co-supervises 10 PhD students in all of these areas of research. He is currently an EC member of H2020 Marie Curie ITN INSPIRATION dealing specifically with soil and groundwater remediation for achievement of sustainable intensification. Other research interests include characterisation of nutrient losses from organic fertilizers (biosolids, slurry, dairy soiled water) spread to grasslands and chemical amendment of such fertilizers to minimise nutrient and greenhouse gas releases to the environment. Recently a new field of research includes characterisation of dairy processing residues and soil physical quality.
A list of Owen's major publications to date is available to download as a Word document. Please click on the link to the right of this page.
- Adjunct Lecturer at NUI-Galway, Ireland
- EU COST EC member of Connecteur
- H2020 Marie Curie ITN EC member INSPIRATION
- International Association of Hydrogeologists
- Soil Science Society of America
- Editor of Journal of Agricultural Science (Cambridge)
- Editor of Irish Journal of Agricultural and Food Research
- Member of Water Framework Directive Working Group in Ireland
- Member of International Artificial N sink initiative