Dr Adam Funk
BSc (Virginia), MSc (UMIST), PhD (Manchester)
Post-Doctoral Researcher in Data Analytics
Full contact details
Regent Court (IS)
I obtained my MSc in natural language processing from UMIST in 2001 and then my PhD in the same field from the University of Manchester in 2005 (using formal semantics for dialogue modelling in the DUMAS project).
I worked for the National Centre for Text Mining in Manchester and then the NLP research group in Computer Science at the University of Sheffield, carrying out research and software development in various areas, including semantic web NLP, information extraction, social media analysis related to journalism, and practical NLP applications for knowledge management and semi-automated contract review.
I am now working in the Information School on an Innovate-UK project to provide data analysis for e-commerce.
- Research interests
My interests include practical NLP applications, information extraction for specialist domains such as law and journalism, and digital humanities.
This person does not have any publications available.
- Analysing and Enriching Focused Semantic Web Archives for Parliament Applications. Future Internet, 6(3), 433-456.
- Khresmoi - multilingual semantic search of medical text and images.. Stud Health Technol Inform, 192, 1266.
- Automatic detection of political opinions in tweets. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 7117 LNCS, 88-99.
- Automatic detection of political opinions in tweets. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 718, 81-92.
- Using lexico-syntactic ontology design patterns for ontology creation and population. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 516, 39-52.
- NLP-based support for ontology lifecycle development. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 514.
- Human language technologies, 37-49.
- Should I Care about Your Opinion? Detection of Opinion Interestingness and Dynamics in Social Media. Future Internet, 6(3), 457-481.
Conference proceedings papers
- Combining expert knowledge with NLP for specialised applications.. Text, Speech, and Dialogue: 23rd International Conference on Text, Speech and Dialogue (TSD 2020), Vol. 12284 (pp 3-10). Brno, Czech Republic, 8 September 2020 - 11 September 2020. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Towards an Infrastructure for Understanding and Interlinking Knowledge Co-Creation in European research. Proceedings of ESWC 2017 Workshop on Scientometrics. Portoroz, 28 May 2017 - 1 June 2017.
- The SENSEI Overview of Newspaper Readers’ Comments (pp 758-761) View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO What's the issue here?: Task-based evaluation of reader comment summarization systems. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, LREC 2016 (pp 3094-3101)
- Automatic label generation for news comment clusters. Proceedings of the 9th International Natural Language Generation conference, 2016 - 2016.
- A document repository for social media and speech conversations. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, LREC 2016 (pp 436-440)
- Sheffield-Trento System for Sentiment and Argument Structure Enhanced Comment-to-Article Linking in the Online News Domain (Ahmet Aker, Fabio Celli, Adam Funk, Emina Kurtic, Mark Hepple and Rob Gaizauskas). MultiLing 2015 in SIGDIAL. Prague, 2 September 2015 - 4 September 2015.
- TwitIE: An Open-Source Information Extraction Pipeline for Microblog Text. Proceedings of the International Conference on Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing
- Ontology-Based Categorization of Web Services with Machine Learning.. LREC
- Interpreting SentiWordNet for Opinion Classification.. LREC
- RoundTrip Ontology Authoring (pp 50-65)
- RoundTrip Ontology Authoring. SEMANTIC WEB - ISWC 2008, Vol. 5318 (pp 50-65)
- Opinion analysis for business intelligence applications.. OBI, Vol. 308 (pp 3-3)
- CLOnE: Controlled language for ontology editing. SEMANTIC WEB, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 4825 (pp 142-155)
- Ontology-based information extraction for business intelligence. SEMANTIC WEB, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 4825 (pp 843-856)
- Flexible dialogue management using distributed and dynamic dialogue control.. INTERSPEECH