The Architecture of George Devey

6 October 2011 – 4 January 2012

The University of Sheffield’s Western Bank Library presents an exhibition of the George Devey Collection of architectural drawings and photographs.

George Devey was an important figure in the evolution of Arts and Crafts architecture, who designed several large and attractive houses across the British Isles, including Ascott, Betteshanger, Coombe Warren and St Alban’s Court.

A key attribute of Devey’s buildings is that they draw upon modest vernacular architecture as a source, recognising local and regional character. For many observers his smaller buildings, such as lodges, stables and cottages, are his most admirable work, particularly in the way they fit their sites and appear to grow out of the ground.

In 1914, Devey’s partner James Williams offered the Sheffield collection to William Purchon, first head of the Sheffield School of Architecture, for his students to study. The current exhibition highlights not just the skilled hand of Devey the draftsman and water-colourist, but also how a nineteenth century architect used drawing before the days of mechanical reproduction and routine photography.

Curated by Jacky Hodgson and Amanda Bernstein of The University of Sheffield Library.

Special Advisor: Professor Peter Blundell Jones, The University of Sheffield School of Architecture.

George Devey

Ink drawing of a lodge, c.1860