Western Bank Library
The inspirational Western Bank Library – dubbed the serene and supreme million print volume library - houses extensive research collections, and offers a learning environment designed to inspire your best work.
For current opening times please visit our Library Sites web page.
The Grade two listed building, officially opened in 1959 by the poet TS Eliot, is also home to our Special Collections.
It predominantly serves Faculties of Art and Humanities, Science, Social Sciences and Engineering.
At Western Bank Library, you will be among brilliant minds. Level five plays host to the inspirational Sheffield Authors Showcase - a celebration of the impact of the research and teaching at the University of Sheffield.
We are proud to honour the achievements of our academic community, both by celebrating their contribution to academic endeavour and by recognising the impact their scholarly works has had on readers.
Features and services
Western Bank Library services include:
- Over 700 learning spaces
- Extensive research collections
- A traditional reading room, with quiet learning spaces, and picturesque views
- An exhibition gallery providing an opportunity to see high quality, visually stimulating displays
- Vast collections predominantly serving the Faculties of Art and Humanities, Science, Social Sciences and Engineering
- Home to an array of primary source materials housed in our Special Collections
- Home to the unique - world-renowned - National Fairground and Circus Archive
- Late opening throughout the academic year
- Face-to-face consultation and drop-in zones
- Staff on-hand to provide help and expert advice
- Convenient self-service facilities
- Open to external members
Ask a question
Phone: +44 114 222 7200
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.