We welcome alumni to the University Library.
Access to Library sites:
- Western Bank Library (During opening hours)
- Information Commons (During staffed hours)
- Health Sciences Library - Royal Hallamshire Hospital (During opening hours)
- Health Sciences Library - Northern General Hospital (During opening hours)
- The Diamond - Ground floor (During staffed hours)
Borrowing from the library
- As an alumni, you can borrow up to five books, for a period of one week
- You can check your account on StarPlus, and place requests on items
- As long as no-one has requested your items we will keep renewing them automatically until the expiry date of your account
- We will send you a weekly borrowing statement email to remind you which books you have out on loan and highlight any that have been requested and cannot be renewed
- We no longer fine on overdue items but, if a requested item is not brought back on time then your borrower account will be blocked until the item is returned
Special Collections and Archives
- Items from the Special Collections and Archives (reference use only) may be made available to registered alumni, subject to the approval of the Head of Special Collections, Jacky Hodgson, (email email@example.com)
- Enquiries relating to the National Fairground and Circus Archive should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0114 2227231
Access to Wi-Fi
Wifi is available: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/cics/wireless/guests
Access to e-journals
Alumni members can access a large number of electronic journals from the University's portfolio using our "Walk in Access" scheme. Access is provided via dedicated computers based in Western Bank Library and the Health Sciences Library at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital and the Northern General Hospital.
To register as an authorised walk-in user you must sign and agree to the code of practice (forms are available at all three sites). You are also required to provide proof of name and address and membership of the Library. Please note, access is limited to one hour per user during busy periods
Other library benefits for Alumni
- Use of all the library print collections
- Use of Microform reader/printers, DVD and videos players (where available)
- Use of Self-service photocopiers
- Use of the InterLibrary Request Service to place an inter-library loan request or to obtain a photocopy of a document; payment at the time of request is required by debit/credit card or library card.
Applying for a library card
Applications for library membership are done online and you will be required to upload a current passport style photograph.
- Access the Online Store
- Create an account (Choose ‘Book Event’ and create your account or ‘Use my Customer Details’, if you have previously created an account)
- Select 'Conference and Events'
- Select 'Professional Services' and then 'Library'
- Complete the application form
Applications may take up to two weeks to process and you will be notified when your card is ready for collection.
You can select the Library site from which to collect your card; please bring photographic proof of identification and proof of your current address. You will also need to bring proof of your award unless this has already been verified.
If you wish to renew your card or you require a replacement because your card has been lost or damaged, please apply online
If you have any enquiries, please contact the Library HelpDesk (0114) 222 7200, or visit Western Bank Library or the Health Sciences Library (Royal Hallamshire Hospital)